Prologue: The Choice

Somewhere in France...

Pain, sheer agonizing pain spread through my entire body as I lay on the cold stiff earth. I could hear my home creaking and moaning as it burned. I could smell and feel the heat of the flames and the fumes as it started producing and then... screaming. I could hear someone screaming my name "RENÉE!!!"

I could feel tears fall on my face as I opened my eyes to see my best friend, my little brother crying. 'Isaac' I thought 'you are too young to witness something like this' he was only ten-years old then. I listened to him crying and pleading "Please don't leave me alone" "take me with you!" his tiny body was shaking because of his sobs. I wanted to console him, hold him but I couldn't, I wanted to cry at the sight.

I turned my head and I wish I could have taken that back. My tears finally fallen at the sight of my brothers, and our wolf. James, my kind and gentle oldest brother like me, was on the ground, clothes soaked with his blood, and my partner in crime David who was always mistaken for my twin, was in a sit up position against a tree, his clothes also soaked in blood. I could see his tears, and then our big white fluffy pillow Keluka was long gone from this world.

            My voice choked at the sight and more tears swelled in my eyes. I turned my head to see Isaac still crying and choking out words that made my heart shatter some more "Just when I thought we finally became a family, why is this happening?!" he was in hysterics 'I don't know Isaac, at least you are safe' I thought and looked up to see the stars 'What did we do wrong?' I thought bitterly, I listen to my brother's sobbing, the crackling and popping of the fire as it destroyed my house, then heavy footsteps that seemed to be inching closer.

            I became stiff as I realized something 'Footsteps?' I thought confused 'Who else could possibly be here?' I wondered. The footsteps stopped and so did Isaac's sobbing; I looked up and saw a man holding him. He was middle aged, in a good looking way and had steel blue eyes. His eyes looked sad? Even a bit angry 'Who is he?' father never mentioned anyone like this.

As we went at least two minutes of our staring contest he asked two questions that stunned me "Do you want to live? Do you want to save your brothers?" he then held out four objects that looked like tree seeds "If you say yes, make your decision" the fire behind me grew and so did my resolve, I hardened my eyes and whispered "Yes" my whisper blew into wind softly. I knew then that as I made my decision it would change my brother's life and my life...forever.