Chapter 3

"Hello? " He shouts. No one answers. The suspense is killing me. "Open it?" He flashes me a look.

"Is this okay? " He nods and gestures for me to close the door. As I get up and close the door I can feel his gaze on me. He's a little freak. He opens a drawer and grabs a shoe box from inside of it. Is that where he keeps his condoms? "What's in there? " He grins. "You'll see. I assume you've never done this before? " Well duh. "Well it depends what it is. " "If you can't tell by the smell, then I guess you haven't. " It smells kinda skunky and sweet, is that weed? "Is that weed?" He smirks mischievously and lights a candle. "Maybe, tee hee. " He giggles. I glare at him tuck and roll without mistake. Music plays in the background, sexy music. I twirl my hair out of nervousness. "This might be your first time smoking with one of the coolest dudes in the world. " I roll my eyes. "Oh you don't believe me? " He licks the paper and lightly presses down to seal it. He makes his way over to where I'm sitting with the joint in one hand, and a lighter in the other. He sits down right next to me, we're basically smooshed together. I avoid eye contact when he puts the joint in my mouth and lights it for me, moving my hair out the way. "Inhale, okay? " He whispers. My cheeks flush. Still avoiding eye contact, I inhale as he lights it up. I feel a deep burning in my throat, almost an itch. I start coughing trying to hold it in, but the pressure in my throat says otherwise. He giggles at my cough attack. "Oh, you're such a cutie. " he takes the joint from my lips and takes a longer puff. I finally stop coughing, and his face turns red. I can tell he can feel it too. The pressure is in his throat now. He starts coughing, trying to show off, but failing. "Oh, you're so cute. " I mock him. I pull the bottle of vodka from my backpack. I pop open the top, chugging it like it's water. "You want some? " "Of course I do. " He tries to challenge me and drink it like I did, but he ends up gagging and coughing. "How do you do that?! Straight vodka is disgusting."

"Let's just say when your mom is an alcoholic, it runs in your veins I guess?"  "Oh, so you a professional?" I let out a small chuckle.

Before I know it, the bottle of vodka is empty and we're both lying on the bed talking about our issues. It feels so good to get out some of the shit that I've been dealing with. Especially to someone who deals with it just like me. Never knew I'd find one of the most kind and understanding people in the senior hallway. "You know, I've never seen you before at school. Do you have any friends or anything?" I look away, "I do have a few, but I like to keep to myself and get my work done, you know?" His eyes glisten. "Why haven't I seen you?" He shrugs. "I don't know. I'm pretty noticeable, and people love to talk shit on me so..." I sigh. "I probably hadn't been paying attention to my surroundings. I often get lost in what I'm listening to." He nods his head in understanding. "Hey, uh, I don't mean to be weird but I have a question to ask you." Ask any questions you want. I love you. "Please, ask away."

"Do you ever like, feel like nothing is real?" I shrug. "Well no matter how I feel it wouldn't change the fact it is. I got a life and even if it doesn't feel real, it just makes it less embarrassing to live in the moment. You know? Maybe it's 'cause all the weed you smoke." We share a laugh. "You're very wise. I've never had a conversation like this with no one before." I feel a smile forming on my face. "I'd rather nothing feel real than everything feel too real. I'd be too crazy."

"Hey uh, do you wanna go on a ride in my car?" I nod, trying not to seem too weird about it. I'M SO EXCITED! This man really took time out of his day to entertain me, smoke with me, get to know me, and care about my problems. Jackpot!!!

"Aren't you hungry? You haven't eaten since you got here, I feel bad." I shake my head, turning down his offer. "Come on, I insist. Let's go get some food."