2.

Noah's pov

"Welcome home sweetheart." My mom says bringing me in for a hug. I smile and place my bag on the floor and hug her tightly. I've always been a momma's boy. It's just who I am.

"Hi momma. I missed you." I say holding her and kissing the top of her head. It's been a year since I've been home. Don't get me wrong, I call daily and my parents come out to visit me. But it's not the same as being home in the place you grew up.

We finally break apart and I give my dad a hug and Charlie comes over and jumps up on me. "Hey boy." I give my golden retriever a head scratch and he licks my face. Well I've been missed...or he misses the extra treats I'd sneak him.

We sit on the couch and Charlie sits next to me with his head in my lap. My parents strike up conversations about hockey and how my career is going. Absentmindedly the whole time I pet Charlie's head and answer all of their questions.

"Oh my goodness. You will never believe who I ran into at the grocery store this weekend!" My mother exclaims looking at me.

"Who?" I don't know who I know that she would run into at Stop and Shop. Most of my friends stayed here after graduation so it wouldn't be a surprise to see them.

"That sweet girl Ava you used to be best friends with. Oh my gosh she was just the sweetest thing. So polite and kind. Do you still keep in touch with her?" My mom asks me.

"N-no..not after she moved away after graduation. She went to SNHU." I tell her.

"Well she must have moved back. She looks exactly the same. That same beautiful look." My mom rambles on about Ava. I knew the exact look she was talking about.

It was the look I fell for.

God she is one attractive girl. Not just her looks but her personality is attractive. She has such a kind nature and a way she carries herself. She hilarious too. There is never a dull moment around her. She is absolutely gorgeou-

"Did you get her new number?" I ask snapping out of my thoughts.

"No i didn't. It was a short encounter. She's doing very well now. She's in business analytics for a fashion design company around here in New Haven..I forget what it's called but I'm sure we'll see her again. She just moved back." Mom says and places her hand on my knee.

The thought of Ava makes me so nervous yet comfortable at the same time. She makes my heart still race and my hands sweat. She makes me feel like a kid in high school again. I thought I was over her but boy was I wrong.

I mean how could I be over her? She was my first everything. First friend, first dance, first date, first kiss, first...I don't have to say the rest. But god I hope I can see her soon.

"Alright momma. I know I just got back but Ryan and Liam texted me on the plane and they want to meet up for lunch and catch up. Can I go? I'll be back for dinner." I give her a slightly pleading look.

"Yes, you can go. Be safe sweetie." She gives me a kiss on the cheek and I take my keys and head out to my car that I haven't driven since senior year. It's a light blue 1980 jeep cj5.

I loved this thing. I bought it with all the money I saved up from working at the rink and working odd jobs, and eventually my first part time job. After I got asked to be considered for the NHL Draft, I began online classes for college so i could get my bachelors degree which saved me a lot of money at the time.

During high school i built up enough credits with AP courses and my Duel Enrollment course so i was able to get my bachelor's degree online only three semesters post high school graduation.

I was a first round pick coming out of high school and I signed on to the Philadelphia Flyers. It is quite odd being back here in Connecticut though. Cheshire is where I grew up and it's an amazing place.

I put the keys in the ignition and turn over the engine and it starts up with ease. Taking great care of this baby was important because I didn't know how long I was going to need it. I drive to Tilly's Diner where I'm supposed to meet the boys.

I hope out of my car and head inside where I see our table. Our table is in the corner if you take a left while walking into the restaurant. It's a round booth that fits perfectly in the corner of the restaurant and it has the best view of the tv where hockey is always playing.

This is where I fell in love for the first time. I fell in love with hockey when I was 4 years old and my dad signed me up right away. He told me I could be the 1 in a million to make it to the NHL if I worked hard enough. And I did.

I sit in the booth and soon enough, my friends come in and sit with me. "Noah! What's up man?" Liam dabs me up and shimmies into the booth.

"Nice to see you dude." Ryan dabs me up as well. It honestly feels like we are in high school again.

"How has life been for you guys?" I ask and they start to fill me in on everything that I've missed around town the last few months since my last break.

"You know..Ava's back in town..she moved back a few weeks ago." Liam tells me. It's not much of a shock since my mom told me.

"Yeah my mom mentioned it. She ran into Ava at the grocery store. I wonder if she would actually want to meet up..I know I was a dick but just maybe.." I trail off into my own thoughts. How was Ava? Did she move on? Does she have a boyfriend? Who knows she might even be engaged!

"You left things..well..you were kinda a doosh to her." Ryan says. And it was true. Even if she wasn't seeing anyone the chances of her wanting to even talk to me were slim to none.

"I know, I know..maybe I can just talk to her..explain why I acted that way.." I run my hand through my hair feeling a bit stressed at the idea of talking to her. We dated from the summer after our 8th grade year and all through high school. Up until I got offers to go straight into the NHL after graduation. That's when we broke things off.

We continue to chat and eat our lunch and Ryan soon mentions that his uncle is running a youth hockey clinic next weekend and that he needs some extra hands. I agree, I loved coaching kids on the weekend in High School.

"Hey wanna go to the ice rink? Just like old times?" Liam asks as we are paying the check. Honestly I'm conflicted. Yes I'd like to go, but I also want to spend some time with my family.

"I'm actually thinking of heading home..I'm still a bit tired from traveling but maybe another day? I'm home for a good bit of time this year." They nod understanding.

"Yeah of course dude. Go home and rest up. We'll message you." We say our goodbyes and they leave, probably to get to open skate. I get to my jeep and head home to take a nap.

God..Ava back on the brain is making everything ten times more difficult.