Chapter 5: No Escape

"We can't stand here." He pats my head, reminding me exactly where we still were. I let go of him, rubbing my eyes and finally feeling a little more safe. When I let go of him I realized Aida was behind me and that Vince wasn't alone. The school nurse, Nathan, was right beside him but he was covered in blood. Next to Nathan were two boys around my age. One had blonde hair and the other had dark brown hair.

The thing that piqued my curiosity was another kid that was right beside my uncle who looked no older than nine. I looked up at my uncle to notice how frantic he looked. His usual calm demeanor was gone and his hair was disheveled, his eyes were searching me up and down.

"I'm fine." I reassured him though I probably look crazy right now. I can tell from the aching feeling on my throat that there must be an angry growing bruise on my neck. He hugged me again and picked up his gun.

"We gotta get out of here." Vince announced to the whole group. I looked around as everyone nodded and agreed.

"That exit is blocked by some giant.. thing." I point to the exit down the hall.

"The exit into the field was filled with those things too." Aida spoke up. Shit she was right, the only exit left was the parking lot.

"Maybe the parking lot?" I said quietly, not wanting to announce to anything roaming nearby that we're in the hallway.

"Parking lot is worse." Vince told us, his eyes dark and looking at the kid standing beside him still.

"Okay if we need to come up with a plan, can we stop standing in the middle of the hallway like idiots?" Nathan finally said something. His voice was harsher than usual.

"Get behind me." Vince reminded everyone. He was the only one with a gun so we all obeyed. We followed him as we started walking towards the nurses office. I heard rustling behind us so I turned around and the two monsters that my uncle had shot down were getting up again. No one else had noticed they were standing back up and were looking at us, just me. The one with spider legs coming out its back started to come towards us.

"SHIT, GO!" I yelled out and everyone turned around to see the woman with spider legs starting to crawl towards us at a fast speed. They all broke out into a full run. When we made it to the nurses office we all rushed in. Vince slammed the door hard and started to push against it to hold it back.

"Push the desk!" Nathan shouted, already going to grab his desk. We all helped pushing it against the door. We used the shelf to barricade it even more. Once the door stopped banging and we could hear the steps of the spider creature retreating, we all caught our breath. The nurses office had a small window very high up and hard to reach.

So I get on the bed and was able to peer out the window. It was definitely safer to be inside than outside, because outside there were hordes of these things basically roaming around. There is no escape, we're trapped in school.

"Guys I don't think we're going anywhere, anytime soon." I announce after stepping off the bed and sitting down on it.

The blonde boy was the first one to speak up. "Explain." he said, confused.

"I think it's best you guys look out yourself." I responded looking over at the window, gesturing to it with my eyes.

The blonde boy stood up and peered through it and his face remained neutral like he saw nothing new. I couldn't really read his expression. Aida looked out next and she looked like she was on the verge of a mental breakdown. Her face was already pale, a thin layer of sweat coating her body and erratic eyes.

"My mom and dad are out there." She says with a shaky voice. She took a seat by me and I patted her back in a comforting way as she looked down at her bangs which covered her eyes, but I could tell she was crying.

"Okay, we all had time to assess the danger and our surroundings, now does anyone know what the fuck is going on!" Nathan speaks up about the matter first. Truthfully though, he said what we were all thinking.

I wasn't sure what was going on so I stayed silent. Everyone was mostly quiet, just sitting around in silence. "The hospital was flooded today with people complaining about how their head hurts and they had these blinding headaches out of nowhere. Some were crazy and started to come in and out of consciousness but everytime they woke they would be aggressive, irritable and irrational. The CDC has already contacted hospitals across the states and they're saying it's a new disease." Vince started to explain.

"Disease? DISEASE? Are they dumb, those aren't people with diseases, THOSE AREN'T EVEN PEOPLE ANYMORE!" Nathan blurted out, his voice harsh and getting louder the more he speaks.

"Screaming isn't gonna help. You might as well sit down and listen since you asked, you're an adult in a room full of kids and the elementary student has their shit together better than you so calm down." The blonde spit out venom in his voice. He was obviously irritated.

Aida and I sat together the rest of the day. No one talked. No one did anything except sit there and every time something would walk by, the whole group would grow tense and no one would breathe until it walked away. When night fell the streets were quieter than ever. Earlier you could hear a car pass by every so often or a stomping noise, but the moment the sun fell it was unnaturally quiet. Not even crickets let out any chirps, everything just fell still.

____________________________________
Authors Note: Okay finally got the ball rolling and the main characters set. Time for the story to begin, this isn't even the beginning Guys trust me  ;p.

CHARACTER AESTHETIC:

Name: Finn Marinonickname : finney Race: Caucasian Ethnicity: italianheight: 5'8age: 15 Favorite color: Green and blueDOB: September 8Facts about him: - He's cousins with tristan - He loves aquariums - he wants to be a marine biologist - his hobby...

Name: Finn Marino
nickname : finney
Race: Caucasian
Ethnicity: italian
height: 5'8
age: 15
Favorite color: Green and blue
DOB: September 8
Facts about him:
- He's cousins with tristan
- He loves aquariums
- he wants to be a marine biologist
- his hobby is Journaling
- if he was an animal he'd be a shark