Chapter 4: A Ritual Called Happy Hour

It had been a long day. Maple Leaf was critically low on supplies that I had promised would have arrived by now, but that somehow got stuck in what Jake called a "red adhesive." Peoples' lives depended on my getting those supplies from the ships to the surface. I was in my hotel room communicating with one of the quartermasters in charge of the compound nannite manufacturers and she was being most obstinate.

"I regret to disappoint you, colleague, but as you're well aware, we're prohibited from providing such technology to unincorporated tribes," the Trellethian quartermaster said.

"I am not requesting the nannites themselves. We simply require more bendamustine. It is a compound the humans already manufacture, but the production cannot meet the demand. I just need your nannites to divert production to the compound so thousands of people will live."

"Perhaps those people should have considered that before they launched nuclear missiles on each other," she sneered.

It was fortunate Trellethians were not telepathic for I had many rather unflattering descriptions for her to include a colloquialism I recently learned. I clutched the pad displaying her smug face, and was about to throw it against the wall when I heard a knock on the door.

"This is not over, colleague. You will be hearing from your supervisor with orders to deliver the bendamustine. And when you do, you will deliver it post haste."

The knock repeated, I jumped off the bed and I stormed over, opening the door to find Jake standing in the doorway.

"Hey, Robin, I just came to deliver this from..." he stopped mid sentence. "Hey, are you okay?"

"Yes, of course. Why do you inquire?"

"Well, your eyes...orbs...they're pink."

By the existentiality, I was so angry my emotions were clearly visible

By the existentiality, I was so angry my emotions were clearly visible. I sighed. "It is inconsequential, Jake. I am simply agitated."

"Oh, sorry. I didn't mean to piss you off by interrupting your free time."

"No, Jake, it is not you. Alas, it is my own people who have evoked my ire. One in particular is an anal orifice."

Jake considered my first attempt at employing a colloquialism. "Ah. Well, here," handing me a datapad. "I believe this belongs to you. You left it in my truck. I mean, I assume it's yours. I don't have any other Grays riding with me with cool-ass alien tech. Anyway, good night and keep away from the bed bugs" he said, shutting the door.

I was still angry. I knew it was not wise to call the quartermaster's superior right now. I would only be irrational. I needed to take a break. I needed to unwind. I opened the door to find Jake in the hallway standing by the elevator. "Is that offer to imbibe alcohol with you at a drinking establishment still open?"