ch 1 skating

MIRA

I gave another warbled cry, tears in the corner of my eyes as I held onto the railing for dear life. You would think that I was in some sort of life-threatening danger like in a stereotypical story. Maybe I accidentally flipped over the edge of a cliff and I'm hanging on for dear life or maybe a natural disaster happened and I was at the edge of a bridge but the truth was that I was perfectly safe.....ish.

Currently, I was at a community park in the middle of winter. One of the greater lakes was mostly frozen over except for the less dense center that was blocked off by tape and cones preventing others from going over it just in case the ice was too thin. A thick layer of snow covered everything from the park's benches and tables leaving visitors to sweep the white fluff off as they chose their resting spots. The trees and shrubs were weighted down by the white snow, the air being dotted by the occasional snowflake.

The only danger I was in was of myself and my inability to keep my balance as i hung on to the railing at the edge of a frozen lake while the skating instructor encouraged me to let go and try to skate on the ice. I once again shook my head and gave a sob when my feet slipped and i fell on my knees hugging the ice-cold metal.

What do you mean by "let go"? I'll die if I let go! I'll seriously die!

I knew i was being as cowardly as a dog hiding under the blanket after being scolded but what can i do? I hate pain and I don't care if I, a full grown adult, was sobbing like a baby and being shameless i paid for these classes so let me waste my time slot as I please!

Ah, the children with the other instructors were giving me blank looks....even the parents....Everybody just please don't make your stares so jabbing please!

I sniffled adjusting my glasses when the instructor gave a helpless sigh.

Alright, I'll get up!

My legs and feet wobbled when I pulled myself up into a standing position again. The instructor brightened when she saw me give it another go. Really, she's awfully nice to gather the patience to deal with me. Such a sweet lady, but i was already hoping my time was almost up because I'm pretty sure I kept my ankles twisted the entire time I pathetically skated along the edges. The wobbling became erratic as I let go of the rail slowly edging to the instructor further in the ring.

Go ice skating they say. It'll be fun they say! Of course it wasn't going to be fun I suck at sports! I should have paid for a walkman and just enjoyed a few rounds around the ice and called it a day but nooo. A grown lady hunched over an ice walkman meant for kids would have been too much shame for me. I still had a little pride at least but now I want to throw said pride into the air if it'll make my legs stop shaking so much!

I grabbed the instructor's hands and used her for support, my grip in a vice as she slowly guided me to skate around the ring. A few minutes later I still wasn't any better but the instructor thought it was a great idea to let go of my hands and hover behind me as i gradually got faster without my intention. I heard one of the instructors call for my own and i started to panic.

Wait! Wait! Wait! Your still behind me right lady!?

Though it was stupid I still gave a quick glance back as i saw that she indeed wasn't following me anymore as both instructors were seriously muttering to each other.

Why would you leave me!? I paid forty dollars for this lesson the least you could do is not leave my side i'm scared here! I mean couldn't it wait for-

I felt my body jerk as I ran into the tape and fell on my front. Hard. first my knees slammed on the ice then my arms and face as I skidded along the ice. I heard a shout as I slid to a stop. I was in too much pain so I was slow in getting my bearings quickly but I saw that the instructor was calling out to me as she skated my way but then stopped when a loud crack was heard.