♥️

"I swear to God, Ni. If this is you trying to set me up with one of your colleagues again-"

"H. Babe. Why do you always think the worst of me?"

Harry lets out an obnoxious snort. "When have you ever given me a reason not to?"

Harry doesn't have to see his friend to know he's rolling his eyes so far back, that he could probably see the back of his head. He shakes his head, breathing out a sigh of defeat, while staring at his screen nonetheless. They've been over this a hundred times and more. "I'm not into accountants."

"I know."

"Then why are you forcing me to attend this-" Harry asks, but Niall cuts him short.

"You're becoming a nun, Harold."

Gasping, Harry flicks the front camera of his phone, and Niall's laughter fills the room.

"Your nan's a nun." Harry tells him, an offended look settling on his face.

"My nan's birthed more children than you've got fingers, babe. She's most certainly not a nun." Niall replies.

"Neither am I!"

"Yet."

It's quiet for a beat. The two friends just stare at each other before Harry finally speaks. "Only you would insult me and think I'd still go to your stupid party," he chimes up, his brows furrowed while trying to make sense of his best friend's logic.

"Oh hush, H." Niall brushes him off. "I'm not insulting you."

"You are, though." Harry is quick to reply.

Niall juts out his bottom lip, drawing his eyebrows together, and Harry turns his head, not interested in the look Niall always gives him when trying to twist his arm into doing something he wants.

"Don't." Harry warns.

"Don't what?" Niall's pout makes way for a sly smile.

"You're not playing fair, Ni." Harry tells him, still refusing to look back at the screen.

"I promise, H." Niall speaks after a few beats. "I'm not trying to set you up with anyone." He says and waits for Harry to look at him again. "We were going to go out tonight, but then I got asked to work inste-"

"Why do they even expect you to work on New Year's Eve? I hope you get paid double-double overtime." Harry cuts him short.

"There's no such thing as double-double overtime, H." Niall throws his head back in laughter, and Harry can't stop the amused smile tugging at the corners of his mouth.

"Well, there should be." Harry states firmly, not doing much to hide the disappointment that his best friend is expected to work these ridiculous hours.

"It is what it is, H." Niall shrugs. "It's a huge contract, and stuff needs to get done. Everyone that's not gone away for the holidays is here. A lot is riding on this." he says and looks to the side. "Besides, they're already setting up the bar for when we're done." he adds, turning his phone to show Harry where four men are busy arranging liquor bottles on a countertop. "It's an open bar." Niall almost squeals, and Harry can't stop himself from smiling at the sound of his friend's excitement.

"It's the least they could do." Harry deadpans.

"So you'll come?"

"I don't want to impose, Ni." Harry shakes his head. "I don't even work there."

"We were told to invite our families over, babe." Niall is quick to tell him. "They've arranged a car service to take everyone home after." He continues to explain. "Free food. Free drinks. Free ride." He wiggles his eyebrows, laughter bubbling from him when Harry rolls his eyes. "Come on, H. What do you say?"