14) Slughorn Ruins My Life (Ft. Snape and Dumbledore)

"What happened to his hand?" Susan gasped, staring at the shriveled mess that Dumbledore accidentally showed off when beginning his speech. She looked at me expectantly.

"How should I know?" I asked grumpily. "I didn't do it to him, I think."

"What do you mean, you think?" Hannah questioned, frowning.

"I don't remember doing anything to him, but I might be crazy. I wouldn't know if I were."

"You are crazy, but not in the 'seeing things that aren't there' way." Justin gave his helpful input.

Dumbledore, correctly guessing what had the student body reacting in whispers, just smiled and shook his sleeve so that the purple and gold cloth covered his hand. "Nothing to worry about. Now... to our new students, welcome; to our old students, welcome back! Another year full of magical education awaits you.

"Mr. Filch, our caretaker, has asked me to say that there is a blanket ban on any joke items bought at the shop called Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes.

"Those wishing to play for their house Quidditch teams should give their names to their Heads of House as usual. We are also looking for new Quidditch commentators, who should do likewise.

"We are pleased to welcome a new member of staff this year. Professor Slughorn." With Dumbledore's announcement, Slughorn stood, giving a polite wave. "Professor Slughorn is a former colleague of mine who has agreed to resume his old post of Potions master."

I choked, "Potions?" The rest of the Great Hall was just as shocked as I was.

"Professor Snape, meanwhile," Dumbledore said, raising his voice to be heard over the shocked students, "will be taking over the position of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher."

I wracked my brain, trying to recall if Dumbledore had ever actually said what Slughorn would be teaching. I scowled as I realized I hadn't. I didn't care what Slughorn taught, he hardly mattered to me, but Snape was my Potions professor. He did more than just help me on my own potion — he constantly pointed me in the right direction. I'd only gotten as far with it as I had because he'd guided me. I didn't particularly want Slughorn's guidance.

Dumbledore cleared his throat. "Now, as everybody in this Hall knows, Lord Voldemort and his followers are once more at large and gaining in strength.

"I cannot emphasize strongly enough how dangerous the present situation is, and how much care each of us at Hogwarts must take to ensure that we remain safe. The castle's magical fortifications have been strengthened over the summer, we are protected in new and more powerful ways, but we must still guard scrupulously against carelessness on the part of any student or member of staff. I urge you, therefore, to abide by any security restrictions that your teachers might impose upon you, however irksome you might find them — in particular, the rule that you are not to be out of bed after hours. I implore you, should you notice anything strange or suspicious within or outside the castle, to report it to a member of staff immediately. I trust you to conduct yourselves, as always, with the utmost regard for your own and each other's safety."

His blue eyes twinkled, and I thought I had escaped hearing about my war. I was wrong. "Now, as I'm sure many of you know, strengthening Hogwarts was not the only thing we undertook this summer. Many of you were here to befriend the students of Camp Half-Blood during the Triwizard Tournament, and more of you have befriended students of Hogwarts that attend the camp during the summer. For years, these campers have been preparing for war, and that war came to fruition during break. Through their valiant efforts, the campers succeeded in pushing out a gruesome, evil force of magic, saving not just their lives, but the lives of everyone. They did a great service this summer, and are deserving of acknowledgement. Every student of Hogwarts who fought in the war will receive one hundred points for their Houses, and a plaque will be put up in the trophy room with the names of all who served. I feel a special thanks is due to those who not only fought, but led.