Part 1

「pre-cannon - Middle School, 1st year」

Being a twin sucks,  Atsumu knows that. Being a twin is like being in a constant competition, one that he always seemed to lose.  Atsumu has to compete for everything, he has to compete for his mother's love, for friends, for attention. You would never think that twins have to compete for friends but they do, all of the 'friends' Atsumu has had so far have only used him to get closer to osamu. Atsumu just wanted the competition to stop even if that meant running away or even dying.

As a child we have all known a child who has broken a bone right? And they got a lot of attention , because they needed to rest or be careful. Is it so bad that Atsumu wished to be one of those kids.  Atsumu didn't know why but it seemed that he knew that he had to be in pain to get attention, attention which he was starved of. So he started wishing, started dreaming that he broke an arm or got in a fatal car crash as that was the only way he knew to get someone to help him, all he wanted was to be cared for.

Volleyball, his escape. He loved volleyball like no other sport, it drew him in like a magnet, it was the only thing he enjoyed. This is because when he is on the court he can focus, no life outside the court matters while you are in a match. His mother, his brother, his 'friends', the fact that he hated himself, they all just didn't exist for that period of time that he was on the court.

That was until Osamu had suddenly 'started to enjoy playing volleyball',  Atsumu reckons that his amazing mother couldn't handle that fact that he was gonna be better than his brother at something. Who would have expected that Osamu was better than Atsumu at yet another thing? Even when he isn't trying, this pissed Atsumu off, Atsumu practised day and night to get attention but his brother could not even try and be better than him!

But this time Atsumu decided he wasn't going to give up, he couldn't, he had already made a friend. Ojiro Aran, he is a year older than Atsumu and a wing spiker, he was so thankful for his senpai. Aran helped him train, and was his first genuine friend.