Part 1

"What do you mean gaydar?"
Jeff smirked.

"Don't worry about it. Just know mine is going through the roof." He tapped me on the nose with a paper straw. I ignored him and pressed on.

"No, come on ?"

He gave me a once over. Jeff my tall dark haired work friend crossed his arms turning towards me.

"So, are you straight or-?"

I didn't really know how to answer that considering the turn in the conversation. We were just joking about a customer and now here I was questioning my preference. To be honest I didn't think I had the answer myself.

"Yeah. But I mean.." I trailed off when I caught a glimpse of his
'I totally don't believe anything coming out of your mouth' expression.

"Louis, who are you trying to impress? Because it's clearly not me. You know I like black guys." He scuffed.

"You know I'm half black right?" I paused and turned around with a confused face.
"And wait, how would I even know that?" Jeff chuckled nudging me in the arm.

"Look, when we get off we're going out, okay. There's a bar downtown on 15th. Really nice place. It's close to the Ritz. So a ton of classy rich motherfuckers'll be there. I'm just trying to help you broaden your horizons. You'll have fun. I promise." My expression softens as I actually begin to consider it.

Wait what the hell was I thinking? I've exclusively slept with women. Hell, my first love was a girl from high school so I knew I wasn't gay. But here I was questioning everything.

"Come on. First round on me." He said.
I finally nodded. I figured it couldn't be that bad. 
I hadn't gotten out much since the big move to Philadelphia and I was almost desperate now to find new friends. I hadn't met anyone I'd call a friend since graduating from UPenn two years ago so maybe this was my time to explore a new avenue of the city. Plus it wasn't often that I'd get to hang out with Jeff after work. Just to chill outside of work and home seemed exciting to me.

"Don't be nervous. You can split whenever. But I swear you won't regret it. I just can't promise guys won't  keep their hands off you." Jeff bursts out laughing at my look of confusion and fear.

Just then a customer snaps her finger across the counter at me to get my attention.

I spin around quickly apologizing ready to take her order.

"You know if I wanted to be ignored I'd go to Wawa and make my own damn coffee." She clicked her tongue and ordered.

"Tall caramel Macchiato. Extra caramel, extra hot, extra foam."

"That'll be $5.13 and can I have a name for the order?"

She slaps her credit card onto the counter completely disregarding my open hand before saying "Bianca".

She twirls around and starts texting on her phone.

"How much ya wanna bet the bitch is writing a review on us." Jeff says to me before letting her know her drink was ready for pick up.

She snatched the drink from his hand and stormed out.

When the door closed behind her we activated our shit talking.

"I should have loosed the lid and let that shit burn her." Jeff rolled his eyes.

I chuckle. "Yeah, did I mention I hate this place."

The rest of the day went by a lot more smoothly but, I realized I was becoming more and more anxious about going out that night. Despite my friendly attitude, I struggled with social anxiety, especially in new places. Moving here was supposed to help that and it has a bit but I still felt nervous on occasion though I didn't show it. Once it was time to leave I had already come up with three different excuses on why I couldn't go.