2: We Used To Be Friends

At the end of the day, Emily meets Haley at the main entrance, and she gives her the money she promised. "Thanks again, Emily," she says, holding her phone tightly in her hand. "It sucks that it was Will who did it. I mean, I hate that it's someone with...you know." With powers, she means, although she's too discreet to say it where someone else might hear. "I hope it doesn't mean bad things for the rest of you. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help?"

For Emily and Alison, no significant event is complete without a trip to Kingsport Kones. Every victory means the ice cream of celebration; every defeat means the ice cream of consolation—that's just how it works.

Under the familiar lights of Kingsport Kones—CFLs hidden in old-timey frames meant to look like gaslights—Emily and Alison can finally talk.

Alison folds her tall frame into one of the fake-wrought-iron chairs and starts to dig in to her dish of mint chip. "So how are you feeling?" she asks. when the two of them are just talking to each other, Alison comfortable and talks more freely.

"Don't worry about me— how are you feeling? Are you okay after that run-in with Pierce.

Alison's smile creeps up a little higher, and she ducks her head for a moment. "I'm okay," she says. "Thanks."

Alison is quiet for a moment, and then looks up again, anxious eyes seeking hers. "Do you think Pierce knows? About...you know?"

"Yeah, he might. But it's okay— we'll look out for each other."

Ice cream can't make all their problems go away, but at least it can make some of them a little easier to deal with.

When they finished with their ice cream, Alison heads off to pick up her little sister from school, leaving Emily on her own.

Emily needs to think more about what she learned. She still unsettled by the way Will was using his ability.

When Emily get to school the next day, she's not surprised to hear Will didn't show up. Even if he's not in jail, he's probably been suspended. You are surprised to get a wave from Tyler as he walks past you towards his locker. "Hey, Emily," he says, flashing a huge smile that makes her uncomfortable. "Great job yesterday."

Even though Tyler's only been at Kingsport High for a few months, he already seems completely at ease here. He knows how to get along in any social situation. Emily phone buzzes with a text. She looks down to see who it's from, and almost drop the phone in surprise. It's Carl McCray.