CHAPTER 1

Chapter 1: Unexpected Encounters

***

The gentle hum of the city below provided a soothing backdrop as Wonwoo focused on his work, the rhythmic thud of his hammer against shingles echoing across the rooftop. Despite the blistering heat of the summer sun, he found solace in the simplicity of his job as a roofer, the physical exertion grounding him in the present moment.

But as the day wore on and the sun dipped lower in the sky, Wonwoo couldn't shake the lingering frustration that had been building inside him for weeks. It wasn't the physical labor that weighed on him, nor was it the relentless heat that beat down upon his back. No, it was something far more intimate, a gnawing ache that had taken root deep within him.

It had been months since he had ended things with Junhui, his once-beloved boyfriend. Their relationship had been passionate and intense, their chemistry undeniable. But despite their best efforts, there had always been something missing, something that left Wonwoo feeling unfulfilled and unsatisfied.

And then there were the nights, the countless nights spent tangled together in bed, bodies slick with sweat and hearts pounding in sync. But no matter how hard he tried, Wonwoo could never quite reach that elusive peak of ecstasy that seemed to come so effortlessly to Junhui.

It was a frustration that had festered and grown, gnawing away at him until it became too much to bear. And so, with a heavy heart and a sense of resignation, Wonwoo had made the painful decision to end things, to sever the ties that bound them together and set himself free.

But even now, as he worked tirelessly beneath the scorching sun, Wonwoo couldn't shake the memories that lingered like ghosts in the recesses of his mind. He could still feel Junhui's touch, still hear the echoes of his laughter, still taste the bittersweet sting of their final kiss.

Lost in his thoughts, Wonwoo barely registered the sound of footsteps approaching until a voice broke through the haze, pulling him back to the present.

"Hey, Wonwoo! You up here?"

Startled, Wonwoo turned to see Minghao, his coworker and friend, standing at the edge of the rooftop with a mischievous grin plastered across his face.

"Yeah, I'm here," Wonwoo replied, setting down his hammer and wiping the sweat from his brow. "What's up?"

Minghao chuckled, making his way over to where Wonwoo stood. "I was thinking we could grab a drink after work. Blow off some steam, you know?"

Wonwoo hesitated, torn between the comfort of his solitude and the camaraderie of his friend. But in the end, the lure of companionship proved too strong to resist.

"Sure, why not?" he said with a shrug, a small smile tugging at the corners of his lips.

Minghao grinned, clapping him on the back before heading back towards the ladder. "Great! I'll meet you down at the truck when we're done here."

As Wonwoo watched Minghao disappear from view, he couldn't help but feel a sense of anticipation stir within him. Perhaps a night out with friends was exactly what he needed to shake off the lingering remnants of his past and embrace the promise of the future.

Little did he know, fate had other plans in store for him, plans that would forever alter the course of his life in ways he could never have imagined.

***

The pulsating beat of the music enveloped Wonwoo as he and Minghao navigated their way through the crowded gay bar. Neon lights flickered, casting an ethereal glow on the diverse array of patrons, each lost in their own world of dancing, laughter, and desire.