𝓂𝑜𝒹𝑒𝓈𝓉𝓎

A/N assalamu alaikum gurlss xx
we spoke about modesty a lot in the previous chapter so here I'm just hoping to give my final thoughts on the topic in relation to the way we act and share my personal experience of what modesty means to me as a teenage muslimah. 
♥ ♥

modesty is such a wide yet apparent topic for a number of reasons. firstly, modesty doesn't only relate to the way in which a person dresses. in fact, the whole point in us dressing in a certain way is to preserve this forgotten idea of  'modesty', in this context relating to the beautiful humility that a muslimah should carry herself with, seen in the way that she interacts with the opposite gender and even in the way she acts in general- reflecting in her interests, manner of speech and friends.

some notes on modesty>>
˚. ✦.˳·˖✶ ⋆.✧̣̇˚.

-lower your gaze omfg. something that people forget is that even though islam doesn't teach us to run away screaming any time someone of the male gender talks to us... we can still have RESPECTFUL interactions with boys. this is where modesty comes in. there is such a fine line between genuinely being friendly and someone perceiving it as flirting that modesty seriously dictates how the situation escalates. from personal experience, my advice is that if you aren't talking to a guy with completely halal and innocent intentions then be strong and just leave the situation all together. you know yourself better than anyone and of course, there are going to be people who you find attractive but don't let this get the better of you and keep upholding your image until you can do something about these feelings in a halal way. (marriage not dating over halal fried chicken bahah) will be worth it, i promise. not only this but don't go seeking anyone's attention. lowering your gaze (ie. not eyeing anyone up lol) will make clear your intentions, allowing you to have these interactions respectfully and normally ygwim you don't need to be seen as someone that is desperate to always be chatting to boys, am not raising no pick me's here x

-watch how your speaking! swearing has become so normalised and i mean ofc I'm not perfect with this either because tbh we're surrounded by it so much that it just becomes natural... a second nature of expression. however as well as getting sins, it's not exactly giving 'modesty', is it? a muslimah who knows her worth doesn't need to use this type of language to be trendy or express herself because her modesty shows that she holds herself to a higher standard than common filthy language. lets all make a conscious effort to cut down the cussing and speak with the eloquence of our beloved prophet (pbuh), presenting our intelligence and demanding respect instead of low level admiration.

-have some decent friends! yeah easier said than done take it from me... I'm probably going to write a whole chapter on friends soon but overall, try to keep good company where you aren't going to feel subconsciously pressured to dress/speak/act in a way that is immodest or would displease allah (swt).

-in general, aim to act in a way in something which your lord would be pleased with you. dress decently, speak respectfully, eliminate pride and arrogance, avoid drama and gossip and preserve your image as a god fearing muslim woman. if you do all this, inshallah you have perfected the practice of modesty, not only greatly benefiting you in the future of the dunya but also in what really matters, the hereafter.

♡what modesty means to me♡
yo girl's getting personal here but honestly, I can't speak about the topic of modesty without reflecting on myself. alhamdullilah, I am beyond lucky to come from a practicing muslim household. from a young age, i was encouraged to wear the hijab however like most people, i never really fell in love with it until much later on. the transition from primary school to a mixed secondary school made me lose myself amongst the bustle of drama, gossip and plenty of bad influences and although I dressed a lot more modestly than my so called 'friends' at the time, I became unrecognisable in terms of my character, hardy representing any of the values of the religion I was visually branding myself as. looking back, dressing a certain way was only ever half of the equation, like when you meet someone and think 'aaaa mashaallah they so pretty' until you find out what they are like and your respect for them pretty much extinguishes. my point is, what you see on the outside should match what is on the inside and once you take the time to fix yourself as a muslimah, fixing your clothing becomes a lot more easy and impactful. personally, once I sorted out my friend group, started praying and studying islam, hijab went from being merely a cloth on my head to my crown and I felt a lot more comfortable being recognised as a muslim when I was acting like one.

on the topic of inner and outer modesty, although mashaallah we all gorg, here's a useful dua for beautifying our character too <33

although i have barely scratched the surface of modesty in islam, i hope I've provided a decent overview on modesty in relation to hijab, clothing and character

again, because modesty is such a huge topic, there's no doubt that it will come up in future chapters but imma leave it there for now :)
may allah (swt) give us strength in attaining modesty in all aspects and situations of our lives, carrying our reputation as true muslim women. ameen ♥

A/N inshaallah the next chapter will be on ramadan! thanks for the reads, appreciate you all sm xxx