I

William is a 6 year old kid that lives on the streets of a village on the outskirts of Britain. All he owns are rags that he calls clothes and metal staff that he tied a sharp piece of metal to. He has curly black hair with dirt and leaves in it, pale skin, and a malnourished body from a lack of food.

"... hungry" the kid whispered

"If you are hungry I can help" an old woman said walking to the boy. A kind smile on her face

"..."

"I am not scaring you, am I" the old lady said worriedly

"Why help" the boy asked "you won't get anything from it"

"No, I will" the old lady said "your smile is what I will get"

"Hmm what is a 'smile'" William asked

"I can't really answer that but you will know when it comes" Granny said

"Ok" the boy answered

Time skip 1 week

William's POV

Granny got me clothes, they feel weird.

She washed my hair, it hurt.

She gave me food, it was good.

Being with Granny was good, I go to sleep full and don't need to fight rats for the food.

I did have to hide my stick from Granny, she said "no child should have a weapon on them at such an age!"

I want my stick.

Granny sometimes goes to see her friends, she makes sure I am ok before going.

I found stuff that seems to be from other kids, girl clothes, dolls, wooden dragon, they also look worn like they have been played with.

I like Granny, she doesn't want me to be hungry.

3rd POV

"Your smiling William." Granny said looking at William with a smile

"It feels weird and hurts my cheeks." William said in a deadpan tone

"That means it's genuine." Granny said while patting William on the head. "Never let anyone take what makes you smile, ok William?"

"ok." William answered while looking at granny. "I won't let anyone hurt you granny."

When he says that granny's smile goes down just a bit

(End)