02

Jennie arrived at the company before the rush of the day began. Nodding to security, she swiped her card and avoided the few employees gathered near the reception area.

She needed a few minutes to collect herself before answering questions about her father.

Instead of heading to the design studio, Jennie walked down the long corridor to the executive offices.

Turning on the lights as she went, the space seemed strangely quiet. She dreaded seeing her father's empty office, but it had to be faced.

If she was going to assume the leadership position, she'd need to manage the company from there.

Pushing open the door to her father's office, she froze. Kim Taehyung stood with his back to her.

He had taken off his suit jacket. She'd recognize his soft hair, broad shoulders, and sculpted masculine shape in any situation.

She had avoided him for the past year. Her chest tightened and she had trouble forcing a breath into her lungs.

She couldn't face him today. He could read every emotion and would demand a response.

"Taehyung."

He turned from looking out the large glass-plated windows framing Seoul. Her heart constricted.

The arrogant tilt of his masculine jawline told her that he came to fight. He believed in divulging secrets and wielded a ruthless honesty that made most people afraid to deal with him.

His dark eyes held a challenge, and instead of stepping back, Jennie made herself stand straighter.

In spite of her objections about him, her father had allowed his ad agency to stay intertwined with Kim enterprise.

Unfortunately, her father trusted the billionaire utterly and believed he had the power to resurrect the couture house.

It didn't seem to matter that her failed engagement to his brother was still being reported in the media.

Jennie stepped forward and placed her workbag on a leather armchair, careful to mask her emotions.

"Instead of merely sending one of your lackeys, you're checking out the turmoil first-hand?"

His eyes swept over her. "I'm sorry about your father, Jennie. I know you're close to him."

His voice stirred up all sorts of feelings that she'd rather keep buried.

For some inexplicable reason, she'd always been drawn to him. She fought against the feeling, but it remained cemented deep inside of her.

Jennie lifted her chin. "He's going to recover."

She had woken up an hour ago with tears streaming down her face. Luckily, a call to the hospital confirmed that her father had stayed stable throughout the night.

Taehyung remained silent, watching her.

She smoothed back a strand of her long hair. "I'm not sure why you're here."

She had no desire to see anyone from his family, ever again.

Taehyung gestured broadly with his hand.

"A crisis is looming. I know the new collection is due out in several weeks, but any ideas to breathe life into the ad campaign have been rejected."

Removing her laptop from her bag, Jennie avoided his piercing gaze. He reminded her of irreverence and dark secrets.

"The board is meeting today to get behind an interim director."

He crossed his arms. "They've asked me to come in and speak with them."