five

“Night Lia”. He mumbles. “I’m not exactly in the tired mood”. He says 5 minutes later. “Neither am I”. I say, exhaling. I had thoughts running wild around my head. All of the emotional family crap came to me all at once, but crying wasn’t an option. “What’s on your mind, Lia?” He asks, lifting his head up and looking at me. “It’s nothing, Nicco”. I assure, planting a kiss on this head to really seal the whole: ‘im fine’. “Oh but you’re not. I’m going to ask you again. What’s on your mind, Lia?” He asks once again, demanding an answer out of me. “Niccolo, I’m fine. Really… What’s on your mind?” I say, trying to veer away from the subject. “You”. He answers stubbornly. I sigh. “I’m fine. Just processing the day that’s all”. I say, vaguely leaving out some details. “What can I do to help, cara mia?” He asks, his chin on my chest. “Staying here with me”. He kissed my jawline. “That’s a given”. He whispers, laying his head back down. He stayed quiet for a minute or so. “You’re allowed to cry, Ophelia.” “I know”. “I know you want to cry”. “I’m fine”.. “I know my bestfriend”. He shot. “I don’t think crying is gonna help”. I say. “I know that everything’s coming all back at once. You don’t need to be strong. You’ve already done that part. I want to help you”.  He says, getting off of my chest and sitting upright, shoulder touching mine. I sigh, knowing that he wasn’t going to stop until I tell him. “It’s just- that I never thought that my 17th birthday would be without them… my Dad promised me that on my 18th birthday he would take me to Italy and well- he said he would take us to see you. He said that he would take us around Europe, and he would have a serious talk with you about the whole ‘dating my daughter thing’. Of course, at the time I thought it was absolutely ridiculous at the time, but he told me that soon enough It’d happen”. I say, realizing how much everyone rooted for us. Niccolo smiled, half sad and half happy. “He really said that?” “Yeah.” “They all rooted for us. It’s hard that we made it without all of them being able to witness it. Niccolo says, exhaling. “Yeah. It really is”. I agree, rubbing my eyes. “I miss them so much, Niccolo”. I say, after a few minutes of silence. “Me too”. He says, grabbing my waist and pulling me close. “We can’t undo what happened. What happened that night was unpredictable. It was horrific and heartbreaking, but it happened. And you lived. There’s a reason for that”. Niccolo says, rubbing his hand up and down my side. “Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if I didn’t live.” I say, realizing that I shouldn’t have said that. He froze. He stayed quiet. “I wouldn’t have been able to survive”. Niccolo says. I could see the tears in his eyes. “I can’t live in a world without my bestfreind. You lived because we can’t be separated”. He adds, only holding me closer. I put my head on his shoulder. “I need you”. I whisper, closing my eyes. He keeps a hand on my side. “I’m not going anywhere”. I woke up the next morning, the sun shining in my face. Niccolo wasn’t there. I look around, I must have fallen asleep on his shoulder. I had a blanket draped on me. He took care of me. The door opened, and Niccolo came in. “Good morning, cara mia”. He says, holding a cup of coffee and a pastry in his hands. He walked over to me, placing the food on my nightstand. He kissed the top of my forehead as I sat upright. “Did you sleep okay?” I ask. “Yes. Yes I did”. He says, handing me the food. “Thank you, Nicco. For everything”. “Anything for you, it was no problem”. He says, sitting beside me. We sat and watched Elouise’s favorite time of day, sunrise.

A/n
They are so adorable 😩🦋