Chapter 05

Those Glasses

As I followed her from a safe distance, lurking within the dimly lit alley, excitement bubbled up inside me like a shaken soda can. Her footsteps echoed softly against the pavement, creating a rhythmic melody that urged me forward with eager anticipation.

With a soft chuckle, I watched her cast wary glances over her shoulder, her nervous gestures adding to the thrill of the chase. It was almost comical how she seemed to sense my presence lurking in the shadows, like a playful cat teasing its prey. The game of cat-and-mouse between us was exhilarating.

Each step she took brought us closer together, my movements fluid and silent as I closed the distance between us. Adrenaline surged through me, heightening my senses as I savored the thrill of the chase. She was tantalizingly close, yet always just out of reach, like a mirage in the desert.

As time passed, her fear swelled like a rising tide, filling the air with its palpable presence. I could practically taste it, a bittersweet concoction that fueled my pursuit. The taste of her terror lingered on my tongue, a constant reminder of the game we were playing.

Finally, she reached her doorstep and closed the door behind her, unaware of the danger that lurked in the shadows. The audible click of the lock was like music to my ears, signaling her false sense of security. With a soft chuckle, I marveled at her naivety. Little did she know, the chase was far from over. Locking the door only served to trap her further.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

The man's outburst was a whirlwind of emotion, his voice cracking with desperation as he struggled against our grasp. His hands shook uncontrollably, his disbelief etched into the fiery intensity of his gaze. "This is insane, I can't believe it!" he exclaimed, his words cutting through the chilly air like a knife. "She can't be gone! Let me in, I need to see for myself. There's no way this is happening. Please, don't lie to me!"

Elijah's touch was gentle, a soothing presence amidst the chaos of the moment. As he tried to comfort the distraught man, I felt a lump form in my throat, a heavy weight settling in my chest. The anguish written across the man's face was palpable, a stark reminder of the harsh reality he was forced to confront—a father facing the unthinkable loss of his daughter.

In that instant, it was as if the heart of their home had been ripped out, leaving behind only the hollow echo of memories past. The absence of her laughter hung heavy in the air, replaced by a deafening silence that chilled to the bone.

The previous night had been a whirlwind of chaos, my mind consumed by the intricacies of Lisa's case. Just as I was beginning to drift into a restless slumber, a sharp knock on the door and the relentless ringing of my phone shattered the fragile peace of the night.

I snatched up the phone, greeted by the urgent voice of Mr. Davis, our senior official, on the other end. His words jolted me awake like a bolt of lightning, instantly snapping me out of my drowsiness. Meanwhile, there was Elijah, waiting patiently at my door, ready to dive headfirst into whatever chaos the day had in store for us. With a deep breath, I braced myself for the whirlwind of events that awaited, knowing it was bound to be one wild ride.

We dove straight into yet another bizarre case, reminiscent of the enigma surrounding Lisa Graham's death. Fueled by a sense of urgency, we wasted no time in rushing to the scene, our minds buzzing with theories and possibilities as we prepared to unravel the latest mystery to cross our path.

Arriving at the scene, we braced ourselves for the heart-wrenching task of informing the victim's father about the tragic turn of events. It was a solemn moment, filled with heavy hearts and a shared disbelief at the cruel hand fate had dealt once again.