Owned

Asher

Melody danced around us while we stripped and put our clothes into my bag. Once Zane shifted, Melody skipped to his side, her left hand grabbing his scruff, and I stepped forward while lowering my nose so she could use my muzzle to boost herself up.

My mate's grin once she was on my twin's back made my heart flutter with happiness. Zane danced in place, as he always did, because he loved it when she rode him. However, he waited until I grabbed the bag with our clothes before he took off at a lazy trot.

Part of that was to make it easier for Melody, but the other part was to prolong our mate being on his back. I kept pace with my twin while Zuriel and Raziel flew above our heads. I snorted while they made fun of us for being "so cute."

Once we reached the house, Meldoy slipped from Zane's back, and he mourned the loss of her. I bumped into him, and he snapped his teeth shut a hair's breadth from my ear. That got us wrestling, and Melody giggling while she watched us with her fists on her hips.

Whining, we shifted back and dressed under the watchful, and lustful, gaze of our little mate. Then Skarr opened the door, smirked at us, and dragged her back into the house while slamming the door closed.

Naturally, we dove towards the door, falling into the house when there was no resistance like we expected. Skarr was nowhere to be seen, neither was Melody.

Snarling, we ran through the house, only to skid to a stop when everyone waited for us in the living room. Except for our mate. We could smell her, but not see her.

Dad laughed, pointed down, and I noticed the pen in the room for the first time. Sitting in the middle of it, and cooing over something in her arms, was my mate. Zane and I took a cautious step forward only to freeze when we breathed in.

As we jerked forward, Meldoy was raising the kittens in her arms and Zane burst into tears. While he sobbed, Melody stood with a laugh since she stumbled, then handed him the kitten that claimed my brother what felt like forever ago. He sobbed into the kitten's fur, cuddling her close while she purred and rubbed on him with soft mews.

I held myself together until Melody placed the tiny bundle of fluff into my arms. Then I burst into tears too, sinking to the floor while I cuddled the kitten close. How could such a tiny thing love so big an oaf like me?

Melody purred, pleased we were so happy we were crying, and she rubbed our backs while her happiness thrummed through our bond. When Zane and I sniffled at the same time, Melody giggled, and our family chuckled.

Dad knelt beside me, rubbing my back, then he kissed the top of my head and moved to do the same to Zane. Except my brother leaned into him and Dad chuckled, throwing an arm around his shoulders.

"So, there's the happy tears," Aurik drawled, his expression conflicted. "Now it's time for the other kind. Maybe."

Dad raised his gaze, tensing as he met his father's eye and Aurik gave him a tight smile.

"Melody is on her way to being immortal," Aurik began, and Dad's expression tightened into a blank mask. "That means, son, it's your turn." When Dad remained silent, Aurik fidgeted for a second, then shook his head. "I know. It's sooner than you expected. But that shitshow with Michael and Gabriel reminded me of how mortal you are. They could have snuffed you by blinking. You promised I would not have to bury another child."

"That's quite manipulative of you," Dad deadpanned while the rest of us flinched at the agony in Aurik's words.

"I don't care," Aurik snarled, and I flinched back from his vehemence. "I am not burying one of my sons when I finally have you all together. Whatever it takes, I will do it."