CHAPTER TWO • STRONGER TOGETHER

" learning curve "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

     Everything was cold.

     That was the only thing Penelope felt as her brown eyes blinked open, trying to get rid of the sleepiness. Goosebumps covered her skin as Penelope sleepily reached to grab her blanket.

     She didn't find it. Her hands barely even moved.

     Her eyes drifted to her hands for an explanation why, that's when she noticed the stinging pain around her wrists. She wasn't in her own bed anymore.

     She was strapped to a metal table, her wrists and ankles bound in leather so she couldn't move. 

     Her breath caught in her throat as she tried to scream for help but no noise came out of her mouth. Her mouth didn't even open. She was trapped... She was trapped in her own body.

     That's when they came in.

     Two figures dressed in white entered the room, quietly discussing things between themselves.

     Penelope's eyes darted around as her heart began to race inside her chest. She couldn't see what they were doing but she could hear the familiar sound of metal against metal. That, plus the surgical masks and scrubs made Penelope come to the conclusion that they were prepping her for surgery.

     The figure closest to her lifted his arm, there was a clicking sound before a blinding light filled the operating room.

     "Prepping the Machine." A cold, raspy voice came from the same man. 

     The brunette barely had enough time to adjust to the light before she felt needles pricking the skin of her arms. Cold metal circles then pressed against her temples, then her chest, and then her abdomen.

     "Let's begin."

     Penelope anticipated the stinging feeling of blades against her flesh but it never came. Instead there was a warmth that filled through her veins. It was a strange feeling, the feeling of a warmth radiating from inside her as her skin was still cold as ice. It spread from her arms, to her scalp, to her toes. Yet her body still shivered, the goosebumps never went away.

     Then it came.

     The pain.

     The pain of her bones being set on fire. Her veins. Her skin.  Even her lungs.

     Everything was burning.

     That's when she could finally scream.

     Penelope jolted awake as her alarm blared throughout her apartment, she found the cold metal was replaced by her warm sheets. She had the comfort of her favorite pair of pajamas- an old tee shirt and sweatpants that were a size to big- instead of being almost completely exposed.