First Year

Amelia Evans was checking off her list of items. "Uhm, books. Check. Wand. Uh... Hermione! Did you see my wand?" Amelia asked her childhood best friend. Hermione rolled her eyes. "In your pocket." 

"Oh yes. Thanks, Hermione."

"No problem. Let's get a compartment to sit." Without waiting for an answer, Hermione dragged Amelia by the arm into the train.

Amelia hid a smile. She never really had to do anything, Hermione had always decided for them, unless of course, it was important.

They had been friends for as long as they could remember. Their parents were neighbours, and it had come as a bit of a shock when they both got their acceptance letters from Hogwarts. Who would've thought your best friend was a witch too, y'know? Both of them were raised by muggle families, Hermione by her own parents and Amelia by her adoptive parents. Hermione had started to dig for info about Hogwarts while Amelia would simply think or remind Hermione about something like actually packing. 

Amelia was so deep in thought she didn't realize Hermione had stopped to talk to a boy who had lost his toad. 

"Neville, isn't it? We'll look, won't we, Leia?" Hermione said, smiling.

"S-sure." Amelia stammered, quite forgetting what they were looking for, but quickly hiding it.

"Thanks a lot! My gran gave that toad to me." [A/N OK, I know that's inaccurate, but I forgot who gave it to him alright?]

"Ok." Amelia said, unable to give a better response, while Hermione was already walking off. Amelia ran after her, mumbling 'excuse me, sorry' whenever she bumped into someone. 

When she reached Hermione, she had already found a compartment. Hermione was accompanied by two boys, one red haired and the other's hair was jet black. 

"Amelia! I hope you don't mind sitting with them for a bit?" Hermione said.

"Of course not." Amelia replied, sitting next to the space between Hermione and the window, while the red haired boy got up to sit next to the black haired boy. 

"As I was saying, I'm Hermione Granger and this is my friend."

"Amelia. Amelia Evans." Amelia replied.

"Ron. Ron Weasley."

"I'm Harry Potter." There was a nervous tone, as if he expected Amelia to know him. Amelia did not get the fuss.

"Anyway which house do you think you want to be in?" Ron asked Amelia.

"Uh... Hermione?"

"Don't you read, Leia? Gryffindor values bravery, Hufflepuff values loyalty, Ravenclaw values brains and Slytherin..."

"You don't want to be in Slytherin." Ron answered.

"Why is that?" Amelia said, confused. Even Harry seemed to listen.

"If you know, you know." Ron said, and even Hermione was nodding.

"I hope I'm in Gryffindor, it sounds by far the best, I hear Dumbledore himself was one, but I suppose Ravenclaw's not too bad. Anyway we'd better go and look for Neville's toad. You two had better change, you know, I expect we'll be there soon." said Hermione. 

Amelia inwardly shivered. She didn't like ravens very much. Especially not their claws.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AMELIA [POV] 

It wasn't long before I bumped into a kid, around my age and he stopped me instead of accepting my apology. 

"I said sorry." I said, groaning. Of course I would find some mean people here. The only problem was that they were always around when I was without Hermione.

"Watch where you're going next time. You might not find people as kind as us." He said, matter of fact-like. I scowled. He was the probably the worst kind of charlatan. He frowned at me. "I've never seen you before. What's your name?"

"Amelia Davids." I replied, still scowling. Like hell I would give him my birth name. His expression hardened.

"That's a muggle name, isn't it?"

"So what?"

"Are you a muggle-born?"

"I don't know." I replied in the same mocking tone.

"How could you not know? Are you adopted or something?"

"You could say that." I said, crossing my arms.

"Well, then, since you're probably not a Mudblood or a blood traitor, I'm Draco Malfoy."

"A what? What did you call me?"

"A Mudblood, though there's a high chance you aren't one."

"What?"

The kid, Draco, smirked. "You're definitely raised by Muggles. Mudblood is a specific word for muggle-born."

"Thanks, I guess?" I said, unable to process the conversation. All of a sudden the train stopped, and I almost fell forward, the only thing that stopped me was Draco, who had kept my hand on the supporting rod. 

"Thanks for that." I said, breathing aloud.

A voice echoed through the train: 'We will be reaching Hogwarts in five minutes' time. Please leave your luggage on the train, it will be taken to the school separately.'*

"No problem. I say we should start preparing to get off the train, as we've reached."

"Oh yes, we should." I went back to the carriage me and Hermione were sharing, Hermione wasn't there so I began packing my scattered things.

Malfoy and I joined the crowd in the corridor of the train, and when the train stopped people started pushing towards the door and out to a tiny, dark platform.

I followed Malfoy out of the train and I stepped on the platform to stand next to him. It was a bit cold, but nothing I wasn't used to.

Oh well, now began my first year at Hogwarts.