Book 1 - Chapter 1

Book 1: Vairagya Khand
Chapter 1: Introduction

Section 1 - Divine Adoration:

1. Hail to the Eternal. Om, salutation to the same Reality, from whom all beings come, by whom they are revealed, on whom they depend, and in whom they cease to exist.

2. He is the knower, the knowledge, and all that can be known. He is the seer, the act of seeing, and all that can be seen. He is the doer, the cause, and the effect. So, salutations to Him, who is the essence of all knowledge.

3. Salutations to Him, who is supreme bliss itself, from whom flows the joy both in heaven and earth, and who is the life of all.

Section II - Narrative of Sutikshna:

4. Sutikshna, a Brahmana with many doubts, went to Sage Agasti's hermitage and respectfully asked:

5. "Great sage, who knows all about virtue and scriptures, I'm filled with doubts. Please enlighten me."

6. "Please tell me, is liberation achieved through actions, knowledge, or both?"

Agasti replied:

7. "Just as birds need both wings to fly, liberation is attained through both knowledge and actions."

8. "It's not just actions or knowledge alone that lead to liberation, but both together."

Section III - Anecdote of Karunya:

9. "Let me tell you a story from the past about a Brahman named Karunya, well-versed in the Vedas."

10. "He was the son of Agnivesya, a scholar in the Vedas. After completing his studies, he returned home."

11. "But he became inactive and skeptical, neglecting his duties. When his father noticed, he asked him why."

Agnivesya said:

12-13. "Why aren't you fulfilling your duties, my son? How do you expect to succeed if you're inactive? Tell me why you're not acting."

Karunya replied:

14. "The Vedas emphasize daily rituals and duties, but true liberation comes not from actions, wealth, or progeny, but through self-denial."

15. "Father, I'm unsure which path to follow, so I've become indifferent to actions."

Agasti said:

17. "Listen, my son," and continued after Karunya remained silent, encouraging him to speak.

18. "Let me tell you a story, my son, and after considering its meaning, choose what's best for you."

Section IV - Story of Suruchi:

19. There was a maiden named Suruchi, the finest of the Apsara nymphs, seated on the peak of Mount Himalaya, surrounded by peacocks.

20. Kinnaras played around her, and heavenly streams flowed nearby, purifying sins.

21. She saw a messenger of Indra flying by and asked him about his destination.

Suruchi said:

22. "O messenger of the gods, where are you coming from and where are you going?"

The messenger replied:

23. "I'm coming from the Gandha Madana mountains, where Arishtanemi, a royal sage, is practicing asceticism."

24. "He has renounced his kingdom and is now in the forest, performing austerities. I'm returning to report to Indra."

Suruchi said:

26. "Tell me what's happening there. I'm curious and anxious to know."

The messenger replied:

27. "I'll tell you everything that happened."

28. "When Indra heard that the king was in deep meditation, he sent me with a celestial chariot to take him to Amaravati."

29. "The chariot is equipped with Apsaras, Gandharvas, Siddhas, Yakshas, and Kinnaras, along with their musical instruments."

30. "I'm to bring the prince to the heavenly delights of Amaravati from the Gandha Madana mountains."

The messenger continued:

32. "Following Indra's orders, I took the chariot and arrived at the mountain."

33. "I went to the king's hermitage and delivered Indra's message."

34. "The king, upon hearing me, reluctantly asked about the joys and sorrows of heaven."

35. "He wanted to know so he could decide whether to go there."

36. "I told him about the rewards of virtue in heaven, but also warned about the consequences of arrogance and envy."

37. "I explained how one's virtue can lead to different levels of heaven or even back to earthly life."

38. "When virtue is destroyed by envy or pride, one falls back to mortal life. These are the effects of merit and demerit in heaven."

39. "Hearing this, the king said he didn't like heaven's conditions and decided to pursue austerities instead."

40. "He chose to renounce earthly life, likening it to shedding old skin like a snake."

41. "He asked me to return to Indra and bid farewell."

The celestial emissary resumed:

43. "So, I returned to Indra's presence and reported the matter. Indra was amazed."

44. "He instructed me to take the king to the hermitage of Valmiki and inform Valmiki about his desire for liberation."

Section V - Account of Arishtanemi:

The celestial messenger replied:

45. "Valmiki, the sage, will guide you towards liberation. Let me tell you how this unfolded."

46. "Indra wanted Valmiki to counsel the king, who seeks emancipation."

47. "So, I took the king to Valmiki's hermitage."

48. "Valmiki welcomed the king and inquired about his well-being."

The prince replied:

50. "O great sage, your sight fulfills all my desires. I seek to know how to escape worldly miseries."

Valmiki said:

52. "I'll tell you the entire Ramayana, which will lead you to liberation even in this life."

Section VI - History of Rama:

The prince asked:

54. "Tell me about Rama - who he was, his bondage, and how he achieved liberation."

Valmiki replied:

55. "Hari took the form of Rama due to an imprecation, appearing ignorant despite being the embodiment of wisdom."

56. The prince asked about the source of the curse and its impact on Rama.

Valmiki explained:

57-65. Sanat-kumara, Bhrigu, Deva-datta, and Vrinda cursed Vishnu, leading him to be born as Rama with limitations.

66. "These curses compelled Vishnu to be reborn as Rama. I'll now explain what you need to know."