When the Rats Go Silent

It was 6 in the evening; dusk loomed over us, like a rain cloud forming. Esmé and I walked on and on (stumbling a couple of times as we tried to hurry) until we reached the dusty alleyway, with a light shaped like a full moon hanging at the end of the deep dark street. Surprisingly, without even thinking, Esmé stepped into the opening. I hesitated wondering whether I should follow her. Was it worth it to get murdered, while trying to find out who murdered old Joe Nobbsy. We didn't know he had been murdered at all until we were told most unexpectedly.

It was just one morning as a postman walked past the alleyway he noticed blood dripping down the wall, the police did a count of everyone who lived in the area and only old Joe Nobbsy was missing, nobody had seen him after the afternoon before either so that basically made the police come to their conclusion, Joe Nobbsy had been murdered.

As I was thinking all of this I finally realised that Esmé was already taking her third slow step further down this mucky old 'so-called' alleyway. I personally would've called it a small street but it was called Number 4 Watch Alley. Number 4 is the Chinese unlucky number, even more reason not to step one little pinkie toe into that street. But of course, Esmé had to go and there was no arguing with her. I'm pretty sure it was called Number 4 Watch Alley because it had once been full of watch menders stalls. "Alina, come on, you're being childish!" Esmé called sounding stubborn, so I went creeping behind Esmé staying small and not making a sound.

All you could hear apart from our boots taking one careful step after another was the sound of frying fish and the light at the end of the alley flickering on and off.

"BANG!" went to a falling wooden plank as it hit the cold stone floor. "AAAHH!" I screamed huddling behind Esmé silently sobbing. "Alina, if you are too scared, wait alone at the entry of the alley, I can go alone," said Esmé, sounding sure of herself. "No you can't, you might get murdered, I am coming with you", "Good" exclaimed Esmé nodding. It wasn't until a bit later that I realised that she had tricked me into saying yes, but anyhow I decided to be brave and carry on down the alleyway.

I wrinkled up my nose as we walked past an old woman frying what seemed to look like chestnuts, but you can never be too sure because it didn't look right. The smell of frying fish mixed with the smell of mouldy walls gave me a headache. I wanted to turn back so badly, but I knew I was going to stick with my best friend, no matter what.

There was a sudden "Oh!" from in front of me, Esmé whipped around, her long brown hair flipping around and smacking me in the face. "The old lady, she might have seen the murder happen!" said Esmé excitedly. Esmé marched up boldly to the old lady making herself visible against the dark knight. " Excuse me, I would like to ask you a few questions about the murder last night, is that ok?'' There was a deafening scream that soared out of the old lady's mouth like an eagle shooting down its prey. Esmé jumped back looking offended. "I will not speak of that frightful night, a man with a black hood," she said hoarsely, ushering them away from her. Esmé looked around at me, and I mouthed "Come on." Esmé clearly got the message as she hurried to me shivering nervously. It was getting colder as the night went on. The sounds of rats squeaking haunted my ears. Esmé faintly whispered as she pointed in the direction of the light, glowing like an orb. "Look over there," she said pointing to a man with a walking stick who was hobbling quickly along the stone floor to a door. Esmé and I hurried along to him and said this time calmly. "I'm sorry to disturb you but do you know anything about the murder last night?" The man looked at Esmé and me, shocked, "the murder?" he replied, clearly thinking slowly. " Yes the murder," said Esmé, now growing impatient. " Oh that one, well ..." the old man said thinking.

The man grabbed a stool from behind him and sat down gently. "Last night, I was walking along with my dear friend Joe, oh terrible thing that happened to him," the man said, looking up from his hands. "So there was a murder," I said excitedly, slightly shouting over the rats who were drowning me in their squeaks, "Oh yes, an extremely bad one as well, anyway we were walking on and Joe said to me you go into your house, I am going to go and check on the rats." "Because they had stopped squeaking" he added, answering our questioning looks he added quickly at the looks on our confused faces, "Rats stop squeaking when they sense danger. So where was I? Then I heard a scream and..." He paused and so did I, something wasn't right. The old man went pale and got up hurriedly. "Get out of this alleyway" was the last thing he said to us before fleeing into the door behind him.

"Esmé, listen," I said hurriedly, "Alina, I was trying to listen to the story and now he's gone," said Esmé sounding irritated. Suddenly my stomach dropped as I realised what was bothering me and what had frightened the man. "Esmé," I said again, starting to panic. "Listen to me." Esmé nudged me in the side painfully, "Alina, now we won't find out the end of the story" I started tugging her away as my voice dropped to a whisper, "the rats", I said "they have stopped squeaking."