It has been three months since Wei Wuxian went missing, most people believed that he was no longer alive, Jiang Cheng along with Lan Wangji searched high and low for him but they never found a single trace of him. Lan Wangji knew that Wei Wuxian is alive. They are Soulmates, not even death can separate them unless they willingly free each other from the soul bond.

Jiang Cheng has never gotten along with Lan Wangji but because they had the same goal, he was forced to shove whatever feeling he had about the Second heir of lan Sect. Their search was mostly filled with silence as Lan Wangji is a man of a few words.

Jiang Cheng and Lan Wangji were ahead of their groups because they were after Wen Chao. As they were on Wen Chao's trail, they found the Wen Disciples dead, but what was shocking was the fact that they were killed differently and mercilessly, not that they didn't deserve it but Lan Wangji had a bad feeling about how they died.

They looked everywhere but they were only met with dead Disciples and weird talismans which were reversed to do the opposite of their original purpose. Jiang Cheng found Wen Chao's favorite mistress dead in a room. He was upset at the fact that he was not the one responsible for her death, so to relieve himself of the anger rising in his chest, he unleashed Zidian and whipped the corpse of the maiden.

Jiang Cheng went out to find Lan Wangji and inform him that Wen Chao had fled the scene. They left the place and went to another Wen Supervisory office to look for Wen Chao. When they arrived they found the same scene as the one they previously encountered. They jumped  on top of the roof when they heard movements inside one of the rooms.

Lan Wangji and Jiang Cheng were shocked when they saw a scared Wen Chao who had deep bruises everywhere, oh how the tables have turned. Wen Chao, the second heir of Wen Sect, the prideful man who took advantage of the power his sect held, was now here whimpering, afraid of "a man with a flute". He jumped and held tightly to his right hand man Wen zhuliu who looked at the figure coming up the stairs with a blank stare.

The figure came into view and Lan Wangji and Jiang Cheng were shocked to see Wei Wuxian Alive. Lan Wangji created a barrier so that the music Wei Wuxian played does not affect them. They stood there and listened to their conversation.

Wei Wuxian: "Ah Wen Chao, you don't know how incredible it feels right now watching you beg."

Wen Chao: "Wei Wuxian p..p..please don't k..kill me, I'm s..s..sorry for w...w..what I did to you."

Wen Chao stuttered and Wei Wuxian just laughed, he looked at Wen Chao who was hiding himself behind Wen Zhuliu.

Wei Wuxian: "Before you threw me in Burial Mounds I told you that I'll return to you as a fierce corpse and hunt you and your people one by one, it's a shame I didn't die but I still came back from the clutches of death."

Wen Zhuliu was about to attack Wei Wuxian but crackling sounds were heard from the roof and Jiang Cheng as well as Lan Wangji came into view.
Jiang Cheng wrapped Zidian around Wen Zhuliu's neck and lifted him off the ground. Wei Wuxian just watched the show pleased with the results. Jiang Cheng held Wen Zhuliu until he became lifeless. Wen Chao looked horrified as he saw his right hand man's corpse.

Lan Wangji looked at Wei Wuxian for a while, thankful that he's alive but something about him has changed. Wei Wuxian is a playful, joyful and mischievous figure but looking at him now he looks dead. He stood there looking at him for a good minute.

Jiang Cheng: " Wei Wuxian, where the hell have you been?", Jiang Cheng asked looking at the smiling Wei Wuxian.

Wei Wuxian: " Aiya Cheng Cheng, is this how you greet your brother", he looked at Jiang Cheng with a fake grin on his face.

Lan Wangji who was watching Wei Wuxian from the beginning saw that every action of Wei Wuxian was fake, he was no longer cheerful nor happy.
He wanted to hold him and give him a bone crushing hug, maybe it would convince him that his soulmate was truly next to him, but no, everything didn't go as he thought it would.

Wei Wuxian hugged Jiang Cheng who also returned the hug. After a while he broke the hug, turned and his eyes met Lan Wangji's golden eyes. Lan Wangji on seeing that he got Wei Wuxian's attention started speaking.

Lan Wangji: " Wei Ying, Resentful energy harms one's body and temperament", Wei Wuxian looked at him as if he was a stranger, no emotions in his eyes.

Wei Wuxian: " What I do with my life is none of your Concern, you shouldn't bother with things that do not involve you", he said looking straight into Lan Wangji's eyes.

Lan Wangji felt hurt when Wei Wuxian said that, he is Lan Wangji's Soulmate, of course everything that involves Wei Wuxian involves him too.

Lan Wangji: "Wei Ying, come back with me to Gusu"

Wei Wuxian: " Does your sect like to meddle in other people's lives??", he asked, " why would I go to a sect that hates people like me??, should I go there just so that they can punish me??, make me right the rules until I change the way I cultivate??"

Lan Wangji: " Wei Wuxian "

Wei Wuxian: " Lan Wangji "

Jiang Cheng: " Lan Er Gonzi, Wei Wuxian belongs to the yummeng Jiang sect, Gusu lan Sect has no right to decide what is right or wrong on his behalf"

Lan Wangji just looked at Wei Wuxian like he wanted to hear it from his mouth, Wei Wuxian just snorted and turned, focusing on the task at hand.

Wei Wuxian: " Jiang Cheng, do you want to deal with Wen Chao?", he asked.

Jiang Cheng: " Yes"

Wei Wuxian: "Lan Wangji, it would be better if you were to leave, this does not involve you anymore ", Wei Wuxian said not even batting him an eye

Lan Wangji left the place upset but he could do nothing about it. From the outside Lan Wangji heard Wen Chao's screams until they died down marking the end of Wen Chao.

Lan Wangji looked at the sky and thought "Wei Ying, how is it that you don't know that if you die, I'll also die.