12.𝑭𝒂𝒕𝒆

The whole time I was working, serving people the addicting poison, my mind was preoccupied with Death. It's been three days since he appeared in my room. Three days since he threatened to hunt me down like prey if I attempted to run away from him. Three days since he touched me as if I belonged to him. My flesh and soul be his.

I returned to work because Grandma started to walk on her own, and if I stayed merely one day at home, I would definitely get fired.

The most difficult thing I've had to do in recent months was persuade my boss to keep me working here. But when I told him how many people came to drink here because of me and how some of them even confirmed this to him while I was away by not drinking, he chose to keep me for the sake of the bar.

That being settled, Madeline started to visit me again. We didn't talk about what happened at her apartment, and truthfully, I had no intention of bringing it up. She'd have a reason not to tell me what was going on with her. But I knew she was hiding something from me, and I'd figure out what it was.

Many people entered our bar as a shield from the pouring rain. Unfortunately, I got soaked from it when, halfway through the walk to work, it started to rain. I never check the weather beforehand. I love to get surprised, and although I love rain, this was not the kind of surprise I enjoyed. I had no spare clothes to change into, so I served the customers like a drenched cat.

I had to take my favorite sweater off as water dripped from it all over the counter into people's drinks. I was a huge-looking mess, but I still got a pretty large tip from my loyal customers.

When the front door opened, I recognized the guy who had previously come here in the same weather condition.

"One glass of red wine, please." His voice was so pleasing to hear.

"Here you go."

He opened his wallet, searched through it, and many small sticky notes fell out of it. I walked around the counter to help him collect them all.

"Thank you." He laughed. "I've been such a mess today, as you can see." And he wasn't the only one in the room. It was burning at the tip of my tongue to say it, but I thought it sounded offending.

"I don't know if you remember; however, you came here before when the crazy storm was outside, and now this feels like Deja Vu," I said to him when I returned behind the counter.

He slapped his forehead. "Oh, yes! I recalled that. But this time I brought an umbrella with me." He swung his umbrella up so I could see.

"Looks like you didn't check the forecast, huh?" His eyes focused on my wet hair.

"Yeahhh, let's not talk about it." I laughed, pointing my index finger.

The sound of thin heels creaking against the floor made me turn my head in its direction.

"I see you're having fun." Madeline smiled at me when our eyes met.

"Oh, hey." I greeted her, glancing at the man who was still looking at me because I couldn't take my eyes away from him.

He extended his arm to me, opening his fist. "Here's the money. Thankfully, I found it." He chuckled.

Once I hovered my hand under his and the money fell into my hand, his hand locked into mine.

"I'm Rowan, by the way." It did not matter to him that Madeline stared at him. His attention was entirely focused on me. And despite our different styles of clothing and different jobs, I liked the feel of his hand touching mine and the thought of him liking and wanting me. Behind his blue eyes were pure intentions, and I liked the feeling of a little normality happening to me. No Grim Reaper, coming here to want my soul. Not hearing Grandma called me my mother's name that reminded me, she's six feet under.