Chapter 1

This decision was the best choice for me and for my family. But it doesn't mean I can't be nervous. The book in my hands was no longer able to calm my jittery nerves. Not sure if books were the best cure for my nervous temperament in this situation. I don't know why I even pulled out my book. I had a lot of stuff to move and pulling out more things to carry would have just been an extra burden. Was it a great book? Hardly. Or maybe I was the one who was too troubled to think properly.

But it doesn't matter. This was hardly the time to ponder about the issues of a book. Besides, it was hard when my mom was trembling next to me, squeezing my hands. She was struggling to hold back anymore tears, and her sniffles were practically echoing through the cramped cab. A great challenge for someone who already has a nervous disposition and a faint heart.

I clumsily tried to reassure her, "Mom, you have nothing to worry about."

I was trying to be strong for both of us, but I was too nervous too. We weren't even close.

The cab took a sharp right turn.

"Quite a maze this place ma'am. Gotta say, not many lots even have the opportunity to drive near here. Fancy school ma'am" said the cheerful cab driver.

Man, either we just got lucky at the airport or the British must have the friendliest taxi drivers ever. My body swayed, and my cheeks hit against the car window as the driver took another swift left turn.

"Gosh, the roads are so narrow here."

"That's right ma'am. You new here ma'am?"

"Yes! Quite so. Obviously. I mean not obviously. We're from California. Just never been to this part of the world before. Also I must say you are friendly. Never seen a taxi driver this friendly." quipped my mom.

"Thanks ma'am. Was taught some good manners like any English cabbie. Fartham school! Quite a fancy school. You must be proud of your girl eh?"

"Quite proud! My little girl..."

My mom paused. Trying to muster up even more strength to stop herself from crying. I've seen my mom cry before, but her attempts to be brave for me were failing miserably.

"There there. Come on now. We're getting close," reassured the taxi driver.

And as if right in the queue, a gigantic gate appeared right before our eyes. Almost 3 feet tall, embedded with vine and leaf decorations. The school's emblem was placed perfectly at the centre of the gate. A stunning rose entwined with thorny vines. Beyond the gates layed a cobblestone road with impeccably aligned wild shrubs next to it. Just a glance was enough to enchant a king. I awoke to the sharp tap on the glass. A man dressed in a security uniform , with a bright yellow name tag that said "Wilbert", had a stern expression on his face. I lowered the glass.

"Purpose of visit?" gruffed Wilbert.

"I'm a new student. I'm supposed to meet Ms Griffith."

The stern look was now mixed with scepticism, "You?"

He scanned at both me and my mom. Scrutinising our jeans and heavy coats.

Every face was just staring back at him with wide eyes. He slowly turned back and picked up the walky-talky. Murmured a few gruff words into it. A few moments later a buzz and voice came out of it. Wilbert went back to his desk and pressed a button. A large buzz sound came out of the gates. The gates rumbled and slowly opened.

As if the car grew a personality, it timidly and slowly drove past through the gates, the wheels rumbling against the cobblestones. Soon the fogs cleared up and I discovered the gigantic cobblestone castle that was going to be my new home.