Half Breed Heritage

"Take that one! He rode with him!" The man pointed out.

"Rode with who?" I said walking up inocently from taking care of my horse in the barn.

"Tell me you rode with McLeod and his bunch."

"No I didn't" my tone darkening now and my small grin turning upside down.

"Didn't you tell me one time you rode with that half-breed sonofabitch and were there when he got shot?"

"I told you that that half-breed sonofabitch died in front of me I didn't pull any trigger, hell I can barely remember that night" I said, even though it seemed the dream was haunting me more and more these days; and I knew excactly what happened to my father that night.

"Then what the hell were you doin' that night that you saw him die?"

"Getting drunker than hell, I even watched him bleed to death on the ground" I said getting a glazed over look about me.

"Thought you couldn't remember hardly what happened that night."

"Thats the only part that I can really remember from that night. Why what did you do this time Tim?"

"Nothing absolutly nothing" he said nervously. "This fella was just looking for part of his bunch that got away that night apparently."

"I thought damn near his entire gang got wiped out that night, from the Mcdonald family chasin' them down?"

"Thats what I thought too, but apperently one got away" he chuckled nervously.

"Why so nervous then?" I asked.

"I honestly don't know why I'm this nervous around this guy" he said his face turning a bit more red.

All I could do was shake my head and say, "you only wish you were honest Tim. Besides I know you weren't riding with his bunch."

"Oh really, because I remember you trying to tie in with your father but he turned you down because he recognized your name.  Damn fine name to have to,  was mighty proud of his son that had made a life of not stealing." He said with a grin.

"I bet he was" I said turning. There wasn't much that really caught me off guard. Except that one comment about my dad turning me down.