Chapter 1

The bright sunlight shone across the dark dirty room finally bringing a source of light to the room
A poor scrawny girl sat there with her hands on her jaw , she suddenly stood up and peered her eye through the window quickly looking out to check if anyone was there.

No one, Thank God, she said as she brought a small size bread from under her bed,  and a piece of groundnut.

"I have to eat this quickly because if that woman catches me, I won't hear the end of it" the girl said as she stuffed the bread in her mouth.

Amara, A shrill voice called out making the girl quickly hide the remaining bread and groundnut .

Suddenly a woman who tied a blue worn out wrapper came into the room.

So you are still on bed, do you think I let you in my house just to stay on bed, it's seems like you don't know the kind of situation you are in, The woman said

I don't see why Emeka brought you here, he should had just left you on your own, now I have to start thinking of how to train such a person . Such a nuisance, how I wish you died along side with your parents.

Nneka, is that something you should be telling this girl this early morning.

No , Emeka don't talk to me, I was against you bringing this girl to this house yet you did and you expect me to accept it just like that ,

Nneka , it's been three years since I brought my niece , and this is what you do in the morning of those three years , can't you stop, isn’t it enough.

No, it's not, this girl might be the one who has secretly stopped me from giving birth, she is the witch you brought to our home, so take her back before I strike. The lady said as she walked out on the scene.

Are you okay , The man asked the girl.

Yes , I am, the girl said with a small smile

Don't mind her, she is desperate to have a baby , so l guess that's why she is taking it out on you, the man said .

I understand sir, please tell aunty to be patient,  that God will give her the baby she has been praying for, Amara said as she clasped her hands together.

Thank you Amara , even with the way she treats,  you still think about her, you have such a pure heart, let me check what she is doing.

Yes, you should sir,  let me also do the chores I have to do this morning.

The weather was cold and breezy, Amara carried her worn out jacket as she walked outside with a mismatched slipper, she stepped outside holding the broom. She noticed how children of different age step out into their uniform with their white socks and black polish shoe on . She watch as they were chatting while they trekked to school, she felt a little pain in her heart as she turned away .

She also wanted to continue schooling, but with her situation,  she didn’t know if it was possible.

Nneka, I don't like the way you treat this girl, remember her parents helped us alot before they died .

Now that she is  here, we have done quite enough for her, we hardly see anything to eat, and on top of that , we don't have a child, you don't how painful it is for me when all those marketwomen rub it in my face . Nneka cried out

Emeka find a way to chase her away within this week unless I will do it .

Nneka, have all the good things my brother did for you . Is that how you will treat my niece .

That's your business,  I keep telling,  that girl is the one with forces stopping from getting pregnant. When will you open your eyes, she is a witch, she is evil . Nneka said with anger but was suddenly cut off with a slap.

Emeka you slap me, Emeka you slap me because of that witch. Nneka asked before laughing hysterically.

I have had enough of this nonsense,  sometimes I wondered why I married such an ungrateful woman like you .

Emeka, you slap because of that girl,  you have not seen anything,  this is just the beginning,  I will torment that girl to the extent that she will run away from this house.  Watch me .

Amara finally packed all the dirt away, now the compound was very neat.

Aunty,  wouldn’t even see a reason to complain . Amara said with a smile as she walk into the house to prepare for the day.

Amara. Her uncle called .

Uncle, what happened.

Prepare, so we will go to the shop together.  Emeka said with a smile on his face .

Ah, of course I will, I love going to the shop with Uncle.

Emeka, this witch is not going anywhere near our shop . Nneka roared as she stepped out of her room .

Why not. Emeka asked already boiling in anger .

Emeka, she will not go anywhere,  she will stay here, I have already called Pastor John, he will come to the house today to cast that evil spirit away from her . Nneka said with an angry tone .

How dare you do that, Emeka said as he stepped forward but instead Amara held him back .

Uncle, do not be angry at ,  she is just frustrated that she couldn’t give birth for you. Amara whispered enough for Emeka .

Amara, what are you doing, don't even try to possess my husband ,you witch .

Amara , Go and prepare,  let's go