i. encounter

Ben Mitchells made had made his way slowly into the coffee shop, thousands of thoughts swirling about in his mind.

     Valentine's Day was coming up soon—-he’d have to figure out something nice to do for his boyfriend, Harry.

     Ben made his order quickly, checking his watch every now and then—-even if his mind was on the upcoming holiday, he still needed to get to work on time.

     Ben was a journalist; he enjoyed his job very much—-especially when he got to write pieces on matters he really cared about, such as LGBTQ+ rights.

    Ben anxiously tapped his foot as he waited for his coffee—-the idea of being late stressed him out quite a bit.

     And then finally, what he was waiting for: “Ben?”

     Ben pushed his way towards the counter. “Uh… That would be me.” He looked up to the young man at otherside of the counter, finally being able to maintain his eye contact.

     The young man's tag read ‘Basil’.

     Basil seemed silent for a little bit as he looked at Ben before smiling. “So… Ben, huh? Is that short for anything? Benjamin? Benedict?”

     Ben exhaled slowly with a laugh. “It's uh… actually Ebenezer…”

      Basil seemed shocked by that. “Ebenezer? Isn't that an old man's name?”

      “Some might say that,” Ben replied.

       Basil then laughed a little. “You know… You don't look like an Ebenezer… More like a… Benito?”

         Ben laughed a little at that too. “Yeah… That's why I prefer ‘Ben’.”

      “Well…” Basil sucked in a breath. “Just Ben suits you.” He paused before asking, “Doing anything for Valentine's Day?”

      Ben nodded. “Yeah, I am actually… I still have to work out the minor details, but I'll be spending the day with my boyfriend.”

     “Boyfriend, huh?” Basil responded. “He's lucky to have you.” He handed Ben the coffee cup. “Here you go.”

     Ben smiled at Basil, taking the cup, paying, and heading off to leave.

     “Have a nice day!” Basil called after Ben.

      And right before Ben left the building, he responded back, “You too.”