v. love, red

When Valentine's Day rolled around, Ben's heart still ached.

      He sat in silence for several hours before he heard the noise the day's mail had been delivered.

      He made his way over to the door and spotted a letter and box on his porch, which he took inside.

      Ben froze a little when he saw what was written on the envelope—-‘Ben’, followed by a heart.

      His breath caught in his throat as he opened the envelope and began to read the letter.

     Dearest Ben,

    First of all, Happy Valentine's Day, my dear. You deserve to have everything on this day. …Anything you desire… I mean, that's what gods get, don't they?

     And yes, I did eliminate Harry… He got in our way… He'd shatter any chances we'd even have with each other.

     Ben could feel his heart rate spike upon seeing that confession, but nevertheless, he persevered and read on.

      Now, we can focus on what means the most to me: us.

     Ben shuddered at the word ‘us’.

      There's so many more things I wish to say to you, my dear… But unfortunately, there's not enough words in the world to describe my feelings for you.

     So, instead, in this box, I offer the token of my affections.

      Love, Red.

     Ben began to feel bile creep up his throat as he looked away from the letter to the box he had set down. “Oh god…” He mumbled to himself, setting the letter aside and making his way over to the box. He kneeled down, his hands shaking as he ripped the tape off.

    Ben took a deep breath before opening the box, falling deathly pale at what he saw inside—-it was Basil's heart.