Chapter One

"My ways are higher than your ways and My thoughts are higher than your thoughts,"

Michael whizzed softly as the words settled over him.

'I consider it pure joy to know the One who is higher than I. He has given me more grace and mercy than I know how to praise Him for.

Let it be, Lord. Let it be as You will.

For You have taken this self-important man and turned him into a humble servant and son.

Your Word says, "Let the redeemed of the Lord say so."

I will say so with all of my heart, as I am Your most grateful son.

Bless You, Lord.'

The crisp air brought chills to his skin, and yet, he couldn't bring himself to mind.

He loved it all.

The white sand that would soon litter his floorboards.

The seagulls and pigeons that often turned his quiet time with the Lord into a rowdy party.

And the foul smell that seaweed and washed-up sea creatures occasionally expelled.

Buzzards Bay was a special little town.

He was grateful every day for the redirection of the Lord.

Because of what He'd done for him twenty-three years ago, Michael was able to ease others into the calm rest of the Lord.

'I will exalt You, majestic Savior.

Your ways are higher than mine. Your thoughts as well.

Good Shepherd, You are my rest, healing, and love.

"It is good to give thanks to the Lord and to sing praises to Your name, O Most High; To declare Your lovingkindness in the morning and Your faithfulness by night," Psalm 92:1-2

You have my all, precious Lord.

Keep me in Your way.'

Closing his journal, Michael laid back on the blanket and closed his eyes, soaking in the cool air and the presence of his Lord.

It was his one desire to be called a friend of God.

He longed to be like Abraham and Moses, friends of the Maker of the universe.

Years ago, when his youngest was only three, the Lord came to Michael and called him to a blameless way of living.

Tears stung his eyes as the memory filled his mind.

Many men and women longed to hear from the Lord. And the Lord came to him.

A fool.

A wretch.

A haughty man, living for himself, not knowing that the Lord didn't have to spare him daily.