Chapter Nine

"Harper, this is Tessa." Sabrina said, pointing to the brunette that stood in front of us. "Tess, this is Harper. She's new."

It was finally lunch, and so far, I had three out of four classes with Sabrina, which definitely made getting around a bit easier. Now, she was introducing me to her friend.

"Hey, nice to meet you." Tessa smiled. "How are you finding Mayfield so far?"

"Not too bad." I shrugged, shouldering my bag as we headed to the cafeteria. "Aside from the no-friends aspect, it's a pretty nice school. Sabrina definitely made finding class a lot easier."

"Yeah, most of the kids here are pretty okay." Tessa agreed, right as we passed Tyler's group from earlier, a few still eyeing me as I walked past them. "Except for those guys. They don't look twice at most of us girls, but apparently they're looking at you."

Tessa wiggled her eyebrows jokingly while Sabrina laughed, looking back to see the jocks. I groaned, tipping my face back to look at the ceiling.

"I don't want to be looked at twice by them." I complained. "One already called me a chick at the car today."

"They went over to your car?" Sabrina asked, surprised. "Just to call you a chick?"

"I mean, they didn't come over to see me in particular." I explained, waiting beside Tessa as Sabrina got her books from her locker. "They went over to see Tyler."

"Tyler Anderson?" Tessa asked, surprised. "What was he doing over by your car?"

"Him and Caz drove me to school." I shrugged, not seeing the big deal. "They live, like, right in front of my house."

Sabrina gawked at me while Tessa nodded, almost as though she was impressed. I didn't get it, really. I knew that Tyler was on the football team, but I didn't know he was a big deal.

"Hey, Harper." Speaking of the devil, Tyler appeared beside me as I walked with the girls to a nearby table, slinging my bag onto the floor.

"Hi Tyler." I said, turning to face him. "What's up?"

"Nothing, just checking in." He said, shrugging before turning more serious. "Have the team said anything to you?"

"No, just looking." I shrugged, playing it cool. "Doesn't bother me though, they aren't seeing anything."

He laughed, nodding his head. He looked around, spotting his group coming into the cafeteria before turning back to me.

"Well, I'm going to go and find them." He said, turning back to me and nodding. "I'll tell them to lay off."

Before I could answer, he was gone, jogging back to his group. I watched as he joined the group, a few of the boys looking over to see where he came from, so I turned back around to see Sabrina and Tessa looking at me.

"What?" I asked, eyes darting between them. "I told you he gave me a ride to school. You hardly thought that we didn't speak."

"I just assumed that he would stick with his popular gang." Sabrina shrugged. "He doesn't usually stray from the popular posse."

Tessa snorted at her comment, covering her mouth with her hand as she laughed. I tried not to, since I didn't know him that well, but a quiet giggle escaped my lips.

"Hey." I spun around to see Caz, standing awkwardly behind me.

"Hi." I smiled, nodding at the free seat beside me. "You can sit if you want."

"Little Miss Popular." Tessa whispered across the table.

Turning to shoot her a glare, I raised my eyebrows, telling them to can it before turning back to Caz, offering a smile.