CH.2: Welcome to Town

To get home meant we had to leave all the colours behind. My eyes relaxed at the sight of normal. I liked to see the people of Truish Town as just ordinary people who didn't get sugar rushes. Serious citizens.

"I can't believe you turned down THE Willy Wonka. The best inventor, magician, chocolatier!!"

"Uh huh."

"Not to mention the cutest guy I've ever seen."

"Isn't that what you said about Jackson this morning? Just put your things down and go to bed."

"I bet 5,000 sovereigns you'll quit all your bad habits once you've tried chocolate."

"I'm not having this conversation again. It's always been no."

She covered her face with the blanket and sighed. "You practically live on—"

"Zoe."

"I'm just saying! I wish we lived in Whimsical City again! It's so colourful and bright! It makes me want to burst into song!"

"Please do not." I frowned. "Goodnight."

When I slammed the door, I heard Zoe's voice, low and wishful...

Is it so irrational
To want to go back?
To want to return to the life that we had?
I miss the colours, I miss the lights
I miss the sweet dreams every night
Does the past have to hold us down?

How I long to get away
To the land where we can stay
And feel free~~
Getting tired of the grey, so 'fore I sleep I always pray
For a miracle...
I want to go back...

The next morning

I threw my alarm on the ground and sat up. The sun never shone like it did in other places. There was nothing bright ever. The clouds always seemed to be upset, and I'd just grown accustomed to the monotony.

I put on my work uniform—also grey—and stepped out the door. The closest thing we got to musical breaks there were synchronized movements. Everyone woke up at the same time, had the same jobs, looked the same, and rarely ever had bursts of emotion. Like soldiers in a parade, everyone got to where they were going. I preferred the order and how simple it was.

Apart from the occasional party I'm forced to attend by my sister, nothing changed.

Wake up, work, sleep.

Over and over.

Every day.

Wake up, work, sleep.

Until...

"I'm home." I said as I locked the door, but received no response. "Hello? Anyone home?" I navigated the house in silence and darkness. The only light that shone came from my dad's room. "Dad? Are you in?" The moment I opened that door, I saw my world tearing apart.

We just stared at each other in complete silence for a minute.

"Avery dear—"

"No. Absolutely not."

"Let's just talk it out. It might not be as bad as you think it is."

"I had a feeling you were keeping something from us, but not on this scale!"

"Don't you miss the life??"

"No!! Is everyone in this family crazy?! We can't go back there!"

"It's so we can start over."

"We've already started over."

"Dad? Avery?"

Not Zoe. I thought. Not now.

"What's up with all these boxes, Dad?"

He glanced at me. "We're moving."

"Again? To where?"

"...Whimsical City..."

"No way!!" She jumped around. "Are you kidding? Please, tell me you're not! My wishes are coming true!! Isn't this simply great?"

I rested my hair on the car window and closed my eyes. Great.

A.N: This is such a dry chapter :(