Chapter 1

Running onto the sharp, gray rocks that shot up from the ground, piercing it from its rough texture

Petrel, the white-feathered Griffin, continually stood in isolation in the loneliness of the cave in which she was to learn leadership.

Being alone since hatching from that egg, she slowly got used to the feeling of slowly never seeing anybody.

A couple of Griffins would come over from time to time, they all had armor that Petrel liked to call 'Wings'.

Petrels white feathers were turned into a light gray in the darkness of the cave, the brown of the feathers turned a dark chestnut.

Petrel was never allowed to leave the cave in which she calls home, a forbidden act of those chosen to be the next ruler.

Petrel can't even stand in the sunlight without getting yelled at by those 'Wings' guards saying she was wrong for going outside.

Petrel, at one point in time, would argue. "It's not fair!" She would pout. "I just want to stare at the clouds! It's not like I'm actually trying to run away!"

Despite her plea, the guards scrunched their beaks. "Well, it's for your safety! The outside is too dangerous for hatchlings like you."

That was their argument for whenever Petrel would want to be outside. "I'm not a hatchling! That was like...ten years ago!"

"Ten years ago, you're still young and we can't risk competitors to eagles or bears!" The guard said. "One cub could maul you."

"No they can't!" Petrel said, how can one mesley cub maul the great and glorious Petrel! "They're stupid!"

"Well, the great and glorious Petrel should know better to underestimate her enemies." The guard said. "Especially because they have claws sharp enough to tear wings apart."

Petrel scoffed, bears were not threatening in the slightest and were very cute. "Whatever, you just never won against a cub, you're too weak!"

The guard would look at her, angered. "What did you just say you disrespectful pheasant?!"

Now, this was the first time ever challenging the guards strength before, never heard one of them yell at her or call her pheasant.

Petrel would stare in disbelief, wanting to cry. "W...what? I'm not a pheasant..." She sniffled.

"Then stop acting like you are." The guard snapped, looking at her like he was stupid. "You have lots to learn, stop crying, don't let others see you're weak."

Petrel stared in disbelief...was she really weak? Petrel felt threatened by this particular guard, the guards always treated her better.

The guards knew Petrel would be their queen one day, or at least could. She was one of the competitors to get the crown.