Chapter 5

It was near sunset by the time Petrel was done exploring the village…

“Well, I am beat, Tern…” Petrel said, walking alongside Tern. “I just wanna lay down.”

“Well, you’ll be able to do that when we get to the ruler's tree!” Tern said.

Petrel just wanted to get to the ruler's tree now, she’s been in multiple trees…

“Tomorrow, you’d be guaranteed to meet your family, however.” Tern said.

My family?

Petrel looked shocked, she thought she’d only be guaranteed to see them once.

“I can tell by your expression you’re shocked!” Tern thought. “I’d thought they would tell you.”

“But I wasn’t told! Will I live with them? Or just on the ruler's tree?” Petrel said.

“You’ll have to see them on the weekends.” Tern said. “The weekdays are on your own.”

“Oh boy, oh boy! I get to see my parents again!” Petrel said, she was excited.

“Yeah, you will!” Tern said. “Well, you also might have brothers, too!”

Ruffle ruffle ruffle…

“What was that?” Petrel asked.

Ruffle ruffle ruffle…

“Quiet, listen.” Tern said.

Ruffle ruffle ruffle…

The ruffling stopped…

“What is that!?” Petrel whispered, seeing two eyes from the trees around the village.

The shadowy figure had a horn…

Were they a Kirin?

The figure ran away from the two as soon as it was spotted, disappearing entirely.

“We need to tell the guards!” Tern said. “It might be an attack on us!”

“Maybe Longspur is back!” Petrel suggested. “Maybe we can go ask him to investigate?”

“He should be back right now!” Tern said. “We should also tell Brant, my dad, and Peregrine.”

“What are we waiting for? Let’s go!” Petrel said, running across the village with Tern to find at least one guard.

“Maybe the Kirins are mad!” Tern suggested. “They haven’t won, never in a single year.”

“They haven’t?” With those spell books, Petrel thought they would win at least once.

“Yeah! Maybe they have come to take vengeance on the one who did win!” Tern said.

“I thought they would win, I mean…they have spell books?” Petrel said.

“Yeah, they don’t. Apparently, they are very weak physically.” She said. “They’ll slay about two competitors before losing.”

“So, what’s their plan after getting rid of me?” Asked Petrel, who kept running around.