10. ᴢᴏʏᴀ

A month later, on the February 13th, Mani stepped into the school with Jeff and Monty by her sides, keeping everyone at the safe distance from her. Her hair was tied into a bun, no make up on her face, her usual outfit consisting of a top and skirt replaced by a pair of oversized pants and Jeff's hoodie. She gripped her brother's hand as they walked through the halls, Monty glaring at every person who looked at her the way that he didn't like - whether it was with interest, worry or anything else.

„Everyone's staring." she whispered and Jeff looked down at her, frowning.

„Yeah, but not at you. At him." he nodded his head towards Monty who was now walking in front of them, pushing people out of their way.

Thomas Jackson switched schools. After the night of Bryce's party, after Mani's boys beat him half to death, he showed up at school with his face barely recognizable, the same time that Monty got his hand wrapped in a bandage, skin ripped on his knuckles and his fist bruised.

Nobody knew what had happened, but they all knew not to ask questions. Monty was on edge, everyone could see that, and now that Mani was back, they knew that if they even as much as breathed the wrong way, they would meet Jackson's fate.

„Mani." soft voice sounded and the girl turned around, relaxing when she saw Jess. The black skinned girl approached her carefully and after earning a nod from her, she pulled her in for a warm hug. Apart from the boys and Sheri, only Jess knew what had happened - being there for Mani when she needed her the most, helping her take showers for the first week when she wasn't able to touch her own body without freaking out. „How are you? I'm so happy you're back." she smiled softly and nodded at Monty and Jeff who stood a few meters away, keeping their eye out for the two girls.

„I'm... getting there." Mani responded, her voice small and cracking. Jess nodded and wrapped her arm around shorter girl's shoulders, walking with her towards the boys and they made their way to the gym.

„I've got her, go enjoy the event." Jessica said to Jeff and Monty, who both looked to Mani and after she nodded, they walked away.  „Come on, there's Sheri." Jess encouraged and the two friends walked over to the desk occupied by the Holland girl, whose eyes lit up at the sight of them.

„Hello, beautiful ladies." she greeted and Mani smiled, making both girl's heart happy. „Are you here to find out who your Valentine is?" she teased, rising her eyebrows as the two chuckled.

„Yeah, figured I'd give love another chance." Mani joked, and Sheri joined her, typing something into her laptop and waiting for the results. She handed Mani a piece of paper and gladly accepted the five dollars her friend handed her, before leaning forward.

„So? Who's on the list?" Mani chuckled as she scanned over the five names.

1. Montgomery de la Cruz
2. Zach Dempsey
3. Sheri Holland
4. Tony Padilla
5. Zoya Andrews

„Well, first of all, I'm still gay." she started, showing the list to Jess and Sheri, who were soon laughing with her. „Second of all, Tony's gay too. Third of all, who the fuck is Zoya Andrews?" she asked, looking up at Sheri, who gave her a knowing glance.

„She's a year below us. She moved here a few months ago, weird that you didn't meet her. She's a cheerleader, too." Sheri explained, and looked over Mani's shoulder. „Look, there she is. Zoya!"

Mani turned around with a small smile, which quickly disappeared as she set her eyes on the girl.

Oh, my God. Is she alright?" Mani looked up at the girl that Monty was making out with before they spotted her.

„Nah, she's not. Can you find Jeff, or Justin? I'm sorry."

„Of course, it's okay. I'll find them."

Zoya Andrews was a pretty redhead, her face pale and her blue eyes piercing. Armani stared at her with wide eyes, recognizing her immediately and the girl approached slowly, smiling shyly.

„Hi, Mani, right?" she asked, her voice soft as she put her hand out for her to shake. Mani looked at her and slowly shook her hand.

„Thank you." she whispered and Zoya nodded, knowing what she was talking about.

„It's nothing. If you needed somebody to talk, I'm here." she squeezed her hand and went to walk away, but Mani stopped her.

„Wait. Would you like to go get some coffee?" she offered, and the redhead smiled.

„Sure."

„Well, come on. We can take my car." Mani waved her over and the two girls walked towards her Charger.

„Mani!" Monty called, making the girls turn around. „You good?" he approached, eyeing Zoya before returning his gaze to his best friend.

„Yeah, I'm fine. I'll text you if I'm not." she grazed his arm and he nodded, before the two girls got into Mani's car. The latina started driving towards the Monet's, and glanced at Zoya. „So, how are you liking Crestmont?"

„It's quite nice, I think. The gym is nice." the redhead nodded, fixing her lipstick in the rear mirror. Armani rose her eyebrows.

„We have a gym?" she asked, genuinely surprised. She wasn't really a sports person - her only contact with it being the boys' games and trainings.

„Yeah, you do." Zoya laughed, looking at Mani who now had a small smile on her face. „You should come with me sometime." Mani tensed, but forced a smile.

„Maybe." she responded quietly and Zoya nodded, satisfied with her answer. They stopped in front of the Monet's and walked inside, ordering two iced coffees and walking towards one of the tables. Mani scanned the room and froze when her eyes fell upon Cassie and Hannah occupying one of the tables. The blonde caught her gaze and smiled, but Mani rose her eyebrows and turned away, taking a place in front of Zoya.

„Who the hell is that?" Cassie hissed and Hannah turned around, eyeing the redhead. She shrugged.

„I think she's new around here. She started school few days ago, I've seen her." the Baker girl responded and went back to her hot chocolate, but Cassie still glared at the two girls.

„Why is she here with her?" she wondered, jealousy rising in her. Hannah frowned.

„Why do you care? I thought you were over her."

„I am." Cassie snapped and looked down at her own drink. „I just didn't think she'd replace me so fast."

INTRODUCING:

sadie sink as zoya andrews

a/n
hi everyone!

i hope you're enjoying the story so far, we're slowly getting closer to Sheri's tape.. how are we feeling about it?

~T