CHAPTER 6

"Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather here beneath the highrock" Heatherstar called into the night air. Her voice was cool, immediately alerting the whole camp in a heartbeat. The full moon brimmed above her. Shining a blinding cold white light. Icekit sat outside the nursery, watching as the rest gathered closer beneath the highrock to listen. Icekit muttered under his breath and turned to head back into the nursery. He had little interest in who would be attending the gathering. Especially when he already knew it wouldn't be him.

"Where are you going?" His mother purred as she passed him out of the den. Her soft grey fur shone silver in the moonlight.

"To sleep..." he lied.

"You should stay and listen, this is an important moment for Silverpaw and Badgerpaw." she mewed, flicking her tail gently at his flank. Icekit sighed. He couldn't deny his mother, and it was better to keep up good appearances. Though the very last thing he wanted in this moment was to see the excitement in his littermate's eyes as they were inevitably chosen to attend their first gathering.

"Fine" he muttered and turned back to follow Quince. He sat beside her, the two just a few mouse lengths away at the outer ring of the gathered cats. He noticed the Medicine cats first, Barkface and Hawkheart sitting beneath the highrock watching the Warriors. His father Talltail was sat at the other end, but his gaze was set on Icekit and Quince. Before quickly flitting away the moment they made eye contact. 'Good' he thought to himself. 'I don't need you watching me...' Icekit curled his tail around his paws and reluctantly waited for Heatherstar to begin.

"Tonight, we are to attend the gathering at Four Trees. Talltail, Barkface, Appledawn, Aspenfall, Meadowslip, Mudclaw, Tornear, Pigeonflight and Sorrelshine will attend to represent Windclan" she called. Her pale blue eyes focused in on the group of cats, searching for two in particular. Icekit rolled his eyes. "Badgerpaw and Silverpaw, you two will attend as well. This is your first gathering, so I expect you both to be on your best behaviors. Listen to your mentors, and make Windclan proud..." she purred. She bowed her head to the clearing and leaped swiftly from the highrock. "We leave now!" Heatherstar called. With that, the cats parted and separated into their divided groups. Those going and those staying. Icekit sighed and glanced at his mother. Waiting for the signal that he could leave. Quince was still though. She watched Badgerpaw and Silverpaw the whole way as they left the camp. A proud smile on her muzzle the entire time.

"I hope they stay safe," she murmured.

"They'll be fine... Starclan would never let anything happen at a gathering" he mumbled. Quince shook her head.

"Maybe so but... I can't help but worry sometimes" she mused, giving Icekit an affectionate nudge. "Thank you for staying and watching" His mother mewed and motioned to the nursery. "You can go back to rest now if you'd like," she offered. Icekit thought for a moment about doing something else, anything really. But nothing came to mind. He was confined to the camp. He glanced at the fresh kill pile and his mouth watered at the thought, but he held back. It felt wrong to eat from the pile when he wasn't hunting. He'd usually wait til his mother took something, or til Silverpaw or Badgerpaw came back so he could eat with them a little more guilt free. So Icekit simply nodded and stalked back to the nursery. He curled up in its warm darkness, trying to push out the cold night as best he could, and nestled into his tattered moss bedding. Curling his slim tail around him, til he was in a tight ball. He tried and struggled to fight back all the jealous thoughts of Badgerpaw and Silverpaw at the gathering. Getting to meet the other Clans for the first time. How they'd get their names cheered once the meeting began to congratulate them on becoming Apprentices. Some days it felt as if Icekit would never hear that call. Nor ever hear the call of a true Warrior name. He fidgeted slightly, twisting and turning uncomfortably as he waited for sleep to find him. It was a messy tumble, with Icekit finding himself staring off into the darkness for most of it. 'This will never be fair' he thought alone. Just then, a voice broke through his anxieties.