13.𝑫𝒆𝒄𝒆𝒑𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏

"Madeline?"

"M-Maddy?"

Her skin started to turn pitch-black, spreading like a plague, and her eyes became white as snow. In the blink of an eye, drops of gray mist wrapped around her like a tornado. It whirled so unbelievably fast that I had to let myself be swayed to the ground by the wind it was creating. I couldn't move a single muscle; I was nailed in one place. I couldn't see what was happening inside the tornado with Madeline at all. As the wind died down slowly and the mist spilled onto the ground like sand, there was no longer Madeline in front of me.

I had to rub my eyes harshly to be sure I was seeing right.

"Damn, that was quite a performance. Even though I expected it to be more theatrical. Boring can be beneficial in some situations, but not for me. Whenever possible, I have to be dramatic. And, of course, I-wait a minute." Death shifted his attention to Rowan's unmoving body with his face down. "Ohh, hello there!" He poked his shoulder with his scythe.

"It's been centuries since I last saw such an imbecile." Death chuckled in his husky voice when he turned his head back to me. "Now, kitty, remember what I said the last time? No running away from me because I'm exhausted from collecting those poor, lost souls who desperately needed me tonight."

I was still frozen, processing what I had just witnessed.

"Dammit, did I accidentally kill you or something? Why are you posing like a statue?" He added, placing his hand on his hip.

My lips started to tremble, and my body tremored as I felt a huge knot settle in my throat. I couldn't utter a word. I began gasping for air. Hot tears swam down my cheeks, and I had a taste of their saltines when they entered my slightly apart mouth.

Death took a step forward to me, and I immediately curled myself into a wool ball. I covered my face with my hands.

This is not really happening, I thought to myself.

This whole time, he pretended to be Madeline. He pretended to be interested in building a friendship with me. That's not what he truly wanted, though. He only wanted to get under my skin, and it worked.

Madeline's behavior was odd, and if I had paid more attention to it and seen the resemblance in their behavior, I'd have seen through Death right away. I'm naive and foolish for thinking that someone normal wanted to be my friend. I cried days and nights in my bedroom. Longing for a female friend that I'd keep secrets with. Our longest and deepest desire we'd share with each other.

The only friend I had was my mother. She also chose to leave me in this world alone.

At that moment, when I was lying on the ice-cold ground, I wished for my death. Because nothing held me here. Nothing, and no one.

Then I shifted my hands away from my face and stared at my wish in front of me.

I pushed myself up, then wiped my running nose. Grim Reaper stood still in front of me, holding his large, shiny scythe. I tore my gaze to Rowan, trying to see if he was still alive, but his body was like a rock.

I swallowed the lump in my throat. "Is he alive?"

Death kept his head directed toward me like he didn't even hear what I asked him. But I had to be sure. What if he was dead, and he died because of me? Will my hands be soaked in his blood?

"Yes," Death replied in a low tone.

I dropped my eyes to the ground, as I couldn't keep looking at him anymore. My heart couldn't take the agony he caused. He was pretending to care for me when he was Madeline. Inviting me to his place and even sleeping in the same bed. That was the night when Madeline left the bed and said she went out to smoke. Perfect liar.