Chapter 4

Kenchie's POV

Just as I was in the middle of talking to Yuki, our conversation was abruptly cut short by the sudden arrival of someone who appeared to be the school nurse.

Kenchie: So there's another God at this supposedly normal school, heh? I should be annoyed, but... [smiles] When I look at her, all I feel is an incredible attraction.

As if sensing my gaze, the woman made her way towards us. I anticipated a scolding, but to my surprise, her focus shifted to Yuki.

Chisato: Oh, Nonaka... Did you faint again?

Yuki: Y-Yes, Miss Hasegawa.

Chisato: [sighs] Nonaka, you must make self-care a top priority. I've mentioned this last term, but I want to emphasize that your health & well-being should come before any responsibilities as a class representative.

Yuki: I-I understand, Miss Hasegawa. I'll do my best to take care of myself.

After Yuki finished speaking, Hasegawa's expression softened. With a caring gesture, Hasegawa gently placed a comforting hand on Yuki's shoulder.

Chisato: Good. And remember, if you ever need anything, don't hesitate to reach out to me. I'm here to support you in any way I can.

Yuki nodded, gratitude shining in her eyes. With a reassuring smile, Hasegawa then turned her attention to me.

Chisato: Your escort, I presume? Though he doesn't seem like a first-aid helper.

Kenchie: No, I'm-

Yuki: He's-

Yuki & I spoke simultaneously, trying to clarify the situation. Hasegawa nodded, acknowledging my presence.

Chisato: Yeah, I know you. Misaki, right?

Kenchie: You know me?

Hasegawa confirmed with a nod & then gestured towards Yuki.

Chisato: She & Naruse, in your class, are quite popular with the boys. I overheard some rumors about you this morning. How does it feel to become the enemy of all the boys on your first day, Mr. Lady-killer?

Kenchie: The rumors have already spread to the faculty, heh? [chuckles softly] I'm more popular than I taught.

Chisato: It's important to be mindful, Misaki. Whether it's intentional or not, when you shine brighter than others, it automatically puts a target on your back. 

Kenchie: Trust me, I know that all too well. I've had my fair share of experiences with that. Through it all, I've come to realize that trying to please everyone is an impossible task, but getting under their skin? [grins] Now that's both effortless & incredibly entertaining.

Hasegawa raised an eyebrow at my response, clearly intrigued by my nonchalant attitude. She chuckled softly, a glint of amusement in her eyes.

Chisato: Well, it seems like you have quite an interesting perspective, Misaki. Just remember, there's a fine line between confidence & arrogance. Make sure you're walking on the right side of that line.