Chapter 5

It's karaoke Sunday, and I'm seated with my closest acquaintances in the little bar we have on the premises.

It wasn't packed and it surely wasn't empty either.

Drinks were made by persons looking to make an extra dollar as they are bartenders or mixologists by hobby.

The most amount of drinks to purchase was five, nothing more. It was either five shorts or five alcoholic drinks. For the plain beverages, it had no limit.

I've ordered two shots and was now nursing a daiquiri.

It was enough to remind me of home. Of my parents home bar underneath the staircase and my high tolerance for liquor. Seeing as through many Jamaican kids knows the taste of rum or beer at an early age.

With majority of crowd being Africans, afro beats was a main request that they sang. Whether in groups or solo.

"The Jamaicans can sing." Jessica laughs aloud and her comment got my attention. If she wasn't the only friend I have there, then she wouldn't have known.

I turned to them as we're seated to the side booth with snacks on our table. Enough seats for our size and that's eleven in all.

Jessica thankfully was seated next to me at the end so I really didn't have to indulge in a personal conversation with Calvin and Nelson.

"Yes, Kiitana. We expect you to perform and to put some extra points on our team." Madison persuaded and that makes them look at me.

"Not every Jamaican can sing." I claimed, taking another sip of my drink.

"It's the participation that counts." Nelson smirked as he doesn't believe me.

"I don't..."

"Let's make a bet." Calvin stated and I turned to him.

That caught me interested.

I'm all in for a bet.

"You go up there and sing the best that we all know that you can. If you get over twenty votes, we won't ask you what or who that got you smiling so much, until you're ready to tell us."

I grinned and looked at everyone who nods. "Deal."

They started clapping and I finished the drink, putting the glass in the middle of the table before I made my way to the stage.

They follow to give me some support at the front.

Laughing, I collected the microphone and searching for my favorite song on the net.

The liquor courage was basking in my actions and I'm happy for the bet.

Even so when I know the deal I've made with Hassan was done. I wasn't being watched like I use to.

"Yuh know wah, I can still remember when it was just me and you. Suddenly it turn, you and yuh crew. Forget everything bout yuh boo... A wish yuh would a treat mih like yuh Glock."

All the attention turns to me and by the next words, plenty eyes widened.

"A would a love it if yuh keep mih pon cock."

Jessica laughs out, making me smile.

The Guyanese obviously know it as she starts mouthing the words of These Streets, by Tanya Stephens.

"A wish yuh would a treat mih like yuh yacht, keep mih wet while the waves dem a rock."

I let my eyes scanned the room for the first time.