𝟬𝟬, the butterfly effect

𝗣𝗥𝗢𝗟𝗢𝗚𝗨𝗘
─ 𖦹 ─

THE BUTTERFLY EFFECT IS AN INTERESTING THEORY. The concept that a fragment of time can become the catalyst that precipitates dozens of calamitous tragedies and unalterable courses of history ─ resting on the notion that the world is so interconnected, that one small occurrence can influence a more substantial, complex series of events. A butterfly fluttering it's wings and causing a hurricane miles away. From such principals, there are many occasions in which circumstances can be traced back to that original catalytic event that unravelled the disastrous occurrences to follow.

For example; climbing out of a window.

Catastrophic impulsivity adorned under the luminance of moonlight caused an electrical spark to rattle through the veins of a young girl, currently exercising her capabilities of silence, as she clambered out of her window. Descending from the trellis fencing, her boots collided to the ground, successfully escaping the madhouse she desperately craved distance from. You see, though this action appeared insignificant to the grand inner workings of the universe ─ the young girl simply employed to natural adolescents' urge of rebellion ─ this event would sentence her to a life of the occult, permanently intertwined with tragedy.

Balancing on the pavements edge, the young brunette followed the road, blanketed in ghostly silence, to the park nearby. The jangle of the bracelets adorning her wrists soundtracked her negligent footsteps as she eventually reached the rusting playground. Entirely abandoned and enveloped in rotting wood, she wandered aimlessly to the swings, rocking back and forth with rattling of chains as she awaited the arrival of her friends. Only moments passed before footsteps accompanied the symphony of nighttime songs, causing the girl to greet the friendly faces.

"Tell me again how you convinced us to come out here."

All of the girls had dark, umber coloured hair ─ the instigator of their friendship's depth as they often claimed, in spite of falsehood, that they were triplets. However, the girl swinging back and forth was slightly taller, her eyes resembling a hue of whiskey. Whereas, the girl who had spoken was short haired, pin-straight, with similar deep brown eyes. Finally, the third girl's hair was curled and bouncing with her steps as she approached the swing beside her combat-boot-wearing friend.

"My parents will kill me if they find out, I hope you know. You would be the cause for my murder!" The curly haired girl exclaimed with a grin as she began to glide back and forth on the swing.

Twisting the chains, the girl turned to her friend beside her. "I'd save you." She shared her infectious grin that carved dimples deeply into her cheeks, "They won't find out." The girl assured before lifting her boot from the ground and spinning the swing back into place.

"I brought cards!" The short haired girl shook a deck of wilting cards in her hand, wrapped together in colourful bands of pink and purple hues. "We're missing the ace of spades, but I made a substitute." Pulling out a poorly cut piece of green card paper, the girl demonstrated her drawing of the ace of spades card.

"Doesn't that mean we'll know what card you have?"

The girl thought for a moment, pursing her lips as though the issue hadn't crossed her mind in the duration in which she had created the card. "It's fine." She shrugged. "I'll just get a new deck tomorrow or something."

"C'mon, let's play!" The curly haired girl stood from the swing and sat cross-legged on the ground beside her friend, the combat-boot-wearing brunette soon following after her.

The three of them occupied the majority of their night playing numerous card games, giggling over trivial gossip that entertained the simplicity of their childhoods ─ debating the superiority of alternative Disney princesses, the likelihood of Peter Parker's actuality and the preferences of juice flavours. All the while distracted from the malevolence corrupting the tranquility of the nighttime, completely oblivious to the evil lurking in the woods nearby.