7 Tips for Choosing the Right Fiber Optic Splice Closure

Choosing the right fiber optic splice closure is crucial for ensuring the proper functioning and longevity of your fiber optic network. Here are some tips to help you make the right choice:

Compatibility

Choosing a fiber optic splice closure that is compatible with your device is crucial for ensuring a reliable and efficient fiber optic network.

Begin by understanding the specifications of your fiber optic device, such as the type of cables it uses, the number of fibers, and any specific requirements it may have for splicing.

Ensure that the splice closure is compatible with the type of fiber optic cables your device uses. Different closures are designed for specific cable types, such as loose-tube or tight-buffered cables. Match the closure to the cable type to ensure proper fitting and functionality.

If your device uses connectors, ensure that the splice closure supports the specific connector types you are using. This includes considerations for connector sizes and compatibility with industry-standard connectors like LC, SC, or ST.

Consider the splicing method used in your device. Some closures are designed for fusion splicing, while others accommodate mechanical splicing. Choose a closure that aligns with the splicing method employed in your network.

Ensure that the size and form factor of the splice closure are suitable for your device and its installation environment. Consider factors such as available space, mounting options, and any restrictions that may impact the installation.

Sealing and Protection

Fiber optic cables are highly sensitive to moisture. Water ingress can lead to signal degradation, increased signal loss, and potential corrosion of the fibers. A well-sealed closure prevents moisture from penetrating and damaging the fibers, ensuring the long-term reliability of the network.

Fiber optic networks are often deployed in diverse environments, including outdoor installations. Sealing and protection help shield the enclosed fibers from environmental elements such as rain, snow, dust, and pollutants. This protection is essential to maintain optimal signal quality and prevent damage to the delicate fiber optics.

Sealing the closure provides a barrier against environmental factors that could contribute to the deterioration of the fibers and associated components. This helps extend the lifespan of the fiber optic network infrastructure, reducing the frequency of maintenance and replacement.

Here are steps you can take to identify whether the sealing of a fiber optic splice closure is effective:

Visual Inspection:

Start with a visual inspection of the fiber optic splice closure. Check for any visible cracks, gaps, or signs of physical damage on the box's housing. A well-sealed box should have a solid and intact exterior.

Rubber Gaskets and Seals:

Inspect the rubber gaskets and seals around entry points, such as cable entry ports and cover edges. Ensure that these seals are in good condition, without any visible wear or damage. Damaged seals can compromise the overall sealing effectiveness.

Tightness of Closure:

Verify that the closure or cover of the fiber optic splice closure is tightly secured. If the closure is designed with fasteners, such as screws or latches, ensure that they are properly tightened. An inadequately closed box can allow moisture or contaminants to enter.

Environmental Rating:

Check the environmental rating of the fiber optic splice closure, typically specified by an IP (Ingress Protection) code. The IP code indicates the level of protection against solids and liquids. Ensure that the environmental rating matches the conditions in which the box is installed.