The Queen of Africa

Last Time on Walking With Dinosaurs: We watched as one of the largest pterosaurs of all time travelled the world to find love. Now we will see as the largest carnivores of all time eke out a living in the land of the killers.

Chapter 8: The Queen of Africa

Time: 97 Million Years Ago, Late Cretaceous

Place: Egypt

Sunset over a late Cretaceous swamp, believe it or not, this place will one day become the Sahara Desert, but currently, it is a maze of creeks and streams filling various swamps throughout Northern Africa. And in these swamps lurk some freakishly big fish. Onchopristis, a huge sawfish nearly 25 feet long. Despite appearances, this guy is actually more closely related to rays than to sharks. The chainsaw-like rostrum is used for slicing up fish, though it can make a formidable defensive weapon if need be.

It was once believed that Onchopristis was a saltwater fish that migrated inland to spawn, similar to today's salmon, but it is now known that they were most likely completely freshwater fish. Suddenly a three toed foot plunges into the water, and the fish scatter. However quite the contrast to what the Onchopristis were thinking, this sailbacked animal is just an Ouranosaurus, leading her herd through the swamplands, and they only have briefly stopped here for a drink. Ouranosaurus are nomadic animals, and this herd is moving towards their summer feeding grounds in the North. And for good reason, even though this area is not a desert, summertime can still bring severe drought and famine.

But, wherever prey goes, predators follow. Carcharodontosaurus, a 45 foot long, 7 ton theropod stalks the herd. It is related to Tyrannotitan and Acrocanthosaurus, and possesses similar weaponry, a mouthful of serrated teeth line its mouth, and like it's relatives, it uses these teeth to slash open its prey, bleeding it to death. But Ouranosaurus are tougher than they seem, they may lack horns, armor plates, or spiked tails, but they are nearly as big as Carcharodontosaurus itself, and they are muscular animals armed with sharp beaks and hooves.

However, the Carcharodontosaurus has weighed the dangers, and she lunges. Running out into the clearing, she deliberately startles the herd into running, knowing that the weaker individuals will get left behind in the panic. Eventually, she spots a big male that is struggling to keep up with the herd, and she gives chase. Ouranosaurus are usually faster than Carcharodontosaurus, but this male's being slowed down by a bad leg, and the theropod is quickly gaining on him. The Ouranosaurus deliberately runs through some shallow streams to try and throw the predator off, but the hunter is about to become the hunted.

A massive jaw lunges out of the water, but the owner has missed his mark, he came just too late to snag the Ouranosaurus, but just in time to obstruct the Carcharodontosaurus. The theropod trips over the crocodile's snout, slamming into the ground before rolling back to her feet. Now it's the Carcharodontosaurus' turn to run away, managing to scramble her way back to shore before fearfully looking back at the river. The creature that foiled her hunt is a 39 foot long Sarcosuchus, a relative of today's crocodiles, who quickly retreats back to the river. Unfortunately for the Carcharodontosaurus, her prey is long gone. But she will soon get another chance.

Nearby, a very different carnivore is also preparing to move for the summer. The distinctive sail on its back gives away this resting Spinosaurus, nearly 50 feet long and weighing 8 tons, it is the largest carnivore on Earth going by length. Besides its size, Spinosaurus gets its name from the huge sail on its back, it's mainly used for display, but for this female, it also provides an easy way to cool down in the breeze.

But a huge sail is not the only thing setting Spinosaurus apart, it has a very unique body type for theropods, even among the Spinosaurids, it's closest relatives, with an elongated body and short legs. And whereas most other theropods have a cylindrical tail, Spinosaurus has a tall, paddle like tail for propelling itself through the water.