(00) prologue

☆

THE air was cool in Plymouth, Massachusetts. It was the night of Thanksgiving, the night before Black Friday. Costa was anything but excited for her friends to pick her up. She had a massive headache from trying to tolerate her bigoted family members who couldn't seem to handle the fact that their perfect little girl, happened to like girls too.

Costa sat on her front porch swing, checking her Snapchat, when the sound of a car beeping caused her to jump in her seat. The blonde quickly got up and opened the backseat door to join her friends in the cramped car.

"Costa, you won't believe what a dumbass Evan was," Gabby said, turning to look at the blonde.

"Oh, I'm sure I'll believe it," Costa replied, "no offense, Ev."

Evan rolled his eyes, going on to justify the fight he got into with some Hanover guy which spiraled into the whole group chanting "fuck Hanover" while Costa just laughed.

She was grateful to have found a friend group so quickly. Back in Chicago, she never really felt like she had a place.

"This fucking traffic is ridiculous," Evan muttered. It had been 10 minutes of hearing other cars beep with no movement at all, "oh, I can't handle this shit."

"Pit stop. I need a new phone. Mine got smashed in the fight," the boy said.

"Can we not? It's not our fault you were being a dumbass," Costa said. She looked to Jessica who nodded in encouragement.

"We're not going to the store. It's a zoo," Jess said but was cutoff by Yulia.

"Woah, no, no. Yes, we are, 'cause Evan owes me a new lipstick. Thank you," she nudged him as Scuba tried to tell her he'd replace it.

Bobby spoke up, "guys, I thought we were going to the movies."

"We are. How am I gonna text her in in the movie without a phone?" Evan questioned.

"Who are you texting?" Gabby asked.

But there was no response. Instead, the best part of the song came on so the car fell into a collective "ooooh, shit!"

Evan barely managed to make it into the parking lot without killing a person.

"Guys, we need to do this quick, okay? Five minutes, in and out," Jessica said, obviously anxious.

Costa sighed, "yeah, and Evan can you please not break this phone?"

Evan shot the girl a wink, "stealth mission, I promise."

"You can't park your car here," Jessica yelled to Evan.

He responded, "it's not a car. It's an SUV."

"The sassy man apocalypse is real," Costa muttered, grabbing Jessica's hand.