9. Their Past

Eunji's POV

Mrs Lee and I had fun with her friends. All of them are so excited for the wedding, they even held a bridal shower for me. We had a lot of fun that we did not notice the time. It's already 5:30 in the evening when we arrived at Lee's residence. Tonight will be our flight back to Seoul so I should hurry and pack my things.

"Oh no, why is he there again?" I heard Mrs Lee said. I look at where she's looking and realized she's talking about Howon. He's running on a circle platform on their compound and I think he's been running for hours now, he's sweating too much.

"What is he doing?" I asked. "Why is he running?"

"He must had another fight with his father," She worriedly answered. She hurriedly went inside and I followed her.

"Why is he running again?!" Mrs Lee immediately confronted Mr Lee as we got inside the house.

"What? Who's running?" Mr Lee innocently asked.

"Your son! Your son is running out there again!"

"What does it have to do with me? Why are you blaming me?" Mr scowled.

I slowly walked out of the scene because it feels awkward right now. Besides, I don't want to eavesdrop. I decided to go up to our room and change clothes but before I could climb up the stairs, I heard Mrs Lee.

"Because the last time he ran out there, he flew to Seoul after and I barely see him ever since," she said like it is the most painful thing that happened to her.

"Fix this! Fix this mess or I will never forgive you!"

I immediately went up when I heard Mrs Lee walked away from her husband. I carefully closed the door of our room, making sure that I won't make a sound. I leaned my back against the door and heaved a sigh. What the hell is the relationship of this father and son? Why ate they so distant with each other?

After changing fresh clothes, I went out to check on Howon. He's still running. I glanced at my wrist watch and it is now 6 in the evening. Our flight back to Seoul will be at 9 in the evening and if we won't hurry, we won't catch the plane. I'm starting to worry not for our flight but for him. I wonder how long has he been running. Doesn't it exhaust him out?

I walked towards him and showed myself, maybe in that way he'll stop running, but he didn't. What did his father tell him for him to act this way? I let him run for a few more minutes. I think running makes him think and it relieves his stress.

Fifteen minutes had passed but he's still not stopping. I'm really getting worried right now so I decided to stop him. He's about to run pass me but I blocked his way. He stopped and I can see how tired he is. His chest is falling up and down in a very fast rhythm.

"Please stop. You'll pass out if you'll keep on running," I worriedly said. We stared at each other for a moment and what he did next shocked me. He dashed towards me and hug me tightly.

"H-Howon?"

"Five minutes. Just five minutes," he whispered. He's sweating too much but it's okay. If this is the way to comfort him then let him be. After moments of hesitation, I hug him, stocking his back.

"It's alright. I'm here," I said and I hope that helps in pacifying him.

• • •

We are now sitting next to each other on the bench swing. I glanced at my wrist watch and it is now 7:45. We won't make it to the flight now.

"I'm sorry.," he suddenly blurted out after few minutes of silence.

"Eh?"

"I'm sorry if we missed our flight," he raked his hair up. "Ill make sure to take care of it first thing in the morning."