Chapter 1

"Ruy, pass the ball," his teammates asked.

"No, pass it to me! I'm open!" said another voice.

Ruy was at the key moment of the championship game. The scoreboard showed a nerve-wracking 3-2, and Ruy desperately needed a point to tie the game. The chance came. The goal was clear. But Ruy's confidence was shaky. He doubted his own abilities.

He can't do it, he's not good enough, he's going to fail.

These thoughts raced through Ruy's head as he passed the ball to Tomás, hoping his teammate would score the goal they needed. The ball left his teammate's feet and flew through the air to its destination. As Ruy watched, his heart raced in his chest. The ball sailed past the outstretched arms of the opposing goalkeeper and, to Ruy's surprise, completely missed the net.

The crowd gasped loudly, and Ruy's shoulders slumped in disappointment. He began to regret it. He wondered if he should have tried to kick himself, trusting his own skills. He felt the adrenaline pumping through his veins, he had to play and win. He was on the verge of wi...

The whistle blew. The game came to an end.

Ruy stood there on the field, the taste of disappointment filling his mouth, bitter and sour, as if he had bitten a bad lemon.

Ruy walked to the bench with a heavy heart and scanned the crowd for a familiar face. He saw his friends' families cheering them on with big smiles and banners. They looked so happy and proud. But more than anything, Ruy wanted to see his sister, July. She was the only family he had left. But she wasn't there. She never was.

He felt a pang of sadness in his chest, but he quickly pushed it away. He was used to that feeling by now. Ruy took a deep breath and tried not to hope for anything. He had been alone many times while others enjoyed their moments. He had learned to live without his family by his side. The one who always watched from afar. The one no one noticed. He had accepted his reality, but it still hurt.

Ruy turned his back on the bench and dragged his feet toward the school gates, feeling like crap. As he approached the gates, he saw the scene again in his mind. The ball at his feet, the goal in front of him, the whistle in his ears. He felt a tear roll down his cheek. He quickly wiped it away, hoping no one saw it.
But one person did it.

He looked up and saw July, his sister, waiting for him. Their eyes locked, and Ruy wanted to yell at her. Why did she have to be so perfect? Why did she have to be so clever and kind and beautiful? Why did she have to make him feel so inadequate? But he couldn't.

She smiled and opened her arms wide. Ruy ran into them and hugged her tightly. He felt her warmth and her breath on his neck. He smelled her shampoo, the one that smelled of strawberries.

"I missed the kick. I missed the damn kick. I could have won the game for us, but I blew it. I'm such a loser."

"Hey, hey, don't say that. You're not a loser, Ruy. You're an amazing player. One mistake doesn't change that."

"But it does, July. It does. Everyone saw me fail. Everyone saw me fail them."

"That's not true, Ruy. They know how good you are. They know how much you care. They know you did your best. They'll always support you, Ruy. Just like I do."