Chapter 4: Stay

Kwang!

"Open your eyes and get back!"

I slowly moved my arm which was covering my face. Mare stood in front of me locked in a stalemate with the ghoul who suddenly expressed an emotion. Surprise.

"What, you didn't think you were the only one who could move like that did you?"

Mare grunted and then pushed the ghoul's femur back, using that small moment to break his guard.

Swoosh Swoosh Swoosh!

Dozens of fire balls flew right over my head and bombarded him causing a smoke screen to appear. Frozen in fear I watched as the being walked through the quickly diminishing covering of the smoke, completely unaffected. Its eyes still locked on me as if it had a grudge.

"Don't ignore me..!" Mare yelled as he appeared from below the ghoul, and swung at its legs.

Clink!

"...!"

His sword bounced off of a shield of ghastly flames that suddenly appeared, and the brute used this opportunity to kick mare into the ground, still locking eyes with me. For a moment it almost seemed as though its eyes were smiling. Telling me it's coming for me next.

My breathing was now completely all over the place, and my pupils a tiny bead. 'I got to get away from here!' I thought as I scurried away with the little strength in my legs.

I quickly hid behind the rest of the party hoping that I was now safe, something I was only allowed to hope for because Mare was using himself as a punching bag. A punching bag that could keep going due to the strength of his party. They quickly joined in, shooting arrows, various magics, and healing him so he could keep going and eventually find an opening.

Shikashikashik

In the midst of it all, the blue ghoul shook his staff which was fancied with skulls. A purple light appeared at its tip, and then the heads of magical beast appeared at the parties feet and bit down. Everyone was instantly immobilized and slowly bleeding from the punctures of the magical beast sharp teeth.

"Thy, Norman, hurry and remove this!" The archer yelled.

"We're trying..!" They yelled back as they attempted to remove the spell, but it was no use.

"Something like this, it'll take a moment. Just hold them off for a moment!"

Mare gritted his teeth through crimson red blood that spilled from his mouth. With the debuff he was at a complete disadvantage. "Just hurry the fuck up, I can't keep up without my speed!"

As if things couldn't get worse, the magician ghoul suddenly screeched at the top of his lungs. Fear was felt all through out my bones but I realized soon that was only an after effect.

"Be quiet..!" The archer yelled as he pulled back his bow string ready to unleash three arrows at once, but he never got the chance. A small but quick ghoul propelled itself at him like a missile and bit at his neck.

"Gah..!" He yelled.

Then dozens upon dozens of ghouls suddenly appeared from the holes in the walls, and began to mindlessly charge us.

"Allan behind me!" Aremi yelled as I ripped my legs from the debuff and ran towards him through the chaos ensuing around me.

I tried to reach him but there was no use, the wound to my leg made me too slow. I was latched onto be a ghoul and fell to the ground as he senselessly pulled my hair and beat at my skull. "I'm going to die..." I thought as my vision began to blur.