To Dream My Dreams

Copyright © Leanne. P. Smith. 2013-2014

28th March 2013

This is actually my poetic introduction to my first novel, The Dreamer: Born of Fire - Part One: Arising. I didn't upload this at first because I wasn't too sure about it. But I really like it, so I figured I'd share it along with part of my story. It took long enough to write anyway!  =)

To Dream My Dreams

Out of the mind, thoughts come like breath. Heartbeats slow to a beating whisper, and vision blurs and clouds as stars fall like rain upon my mentality. The darkness ignites in icy providence, sparkling like numerous crystal shards in the velvet night. I rest my head upon a rippling lake of sights and sounds. I reach for the glimmers of soft shadows and the tender waves of flickering light. I am embraced in gentle tranquillity. Emotion writhes in the blood. Flashes of thought fly and flee. Silence.

I rise.

Like sun-struck honey, memories churn in the depths of my mind…shining…turning golden, deep and vibrant. Splashes of colour, like ink, strike the walls around my mind–mirrors that become clear as glass and then shatter in the light. In the abundant dark of night, my mind is free from the walls that restrain it; the world imprisoned within the light of day is unchained and left to roam without need of logic or reason. Peace enfolds me. I am swept away in serenity.

I soar.

Now in warm retreat, the hours turn upon the ticking of the clock and the swinging of the pendulum. Seconds pass in no measurement and the winds change with the rotation of the Earth. …But then I feel it. My heart thunders in my chest. My soul begins to sing. I feel a shiver beyond the unknown—something strange and elusive like a memory long lost.

I fly.

Amidst the winding symbols and the rushing characters of my mental frivolities, I dance with tangled thoughts and secret desires. The veil is drawn back, no longer hiding my reality in a dark haze, brushing over truth and lies. Glittering ease yields and vanishes. I am cast into the light and the dark.

I fall.

I sit and stare, seeing what others are blind to in the space. I shudder. I shiver. I am the voice and the sight to those things that appear invisible and unreachable.

I die.

Sunlight bathes me. I listen to the music of the silence. I breathe once more.

I live.

I am the Dreamer.