Chapter 21

I start to reconsider if leaving this month was a good idea.

I know I made promises, but I felt the need to be around for Hassan's birthday.

The same birthday I didn't know about since he barely tells me anything.

He had left for the USA two weeks ago and is suppose to be back sometime this week.

I wanted him back before his family and friends gets here so I don't feel awkward without him.

This morning, and the first time in months. I felt like cooking.

They didn't know that I could help myself so I'm being monitored.

Daisy was worried that I might hurt myself or the baby.

Chef Martino kept asking if I needed help and my answer was always no.

Then there's Mrs Frederick. She watches me without a word.

Seeing how Hassan went defending our unborn child. He told her that whether or not we will our child out of wedlock, the child is a blessing. God won't love the innocent baby any less.

She didn't expect his outburst and she had to apologize.

Apart from them, the staffs were passing through as well. As if they're expecting me to make a huge mess.

Or burn this place to the ground.

Even now the smoke detector hasn't made an alarm.

I've fried enough round golden dumplings to last me a week. As I've added took much ingredients due to thinking and wasn't being focused.

I've blended most of the peanuts I had to make a large pot of porridge.

The rest I used to make my peanut drops.

An after all that, I wasn't done.

Missing my Jamaican food have me deeply craving for it and with my order that came yesterday. I'm using everything today.

Multitasking, I had my breakfast and started preparing lunch and dinner immediately.

Curry goat and white rice. That's for lunch.

Brown stewed and fried chicken, seasoned rice and steamed veggies. Beetroot and carrot juice. That's for dinner.

As I took off one pot, I put another on the stove.

Listening to Jamaican music and enjoying the moments where I'm reminded of home.

At my parents house when I cooked for mommy and daddy, they didn't have to buy food on the road. They taught me how to cook so I could do more than boil water.

Seated on the stool doing another task that I took upon myself to do, I never expected Hassan to walk through that door unannounced.

We all looked at him surprised.

He greeted us but looks right at me and what I'm doing.

"So this is how you do it." He chuckled, walking over.

"What?" I asked.

"You cook when I'm not here so I would never have the chance to taste your food."

I blushed but said nothing.

"You just started?" He inquires, looking around.

"She's been up since six am." Chef informed on me.

Ole informer.

A true him wah have the kitchen all tu himself.

Hassan looks at the time and frowned.

"It's five minutes to eleven. What have you been cooking for so long?" He looks at me.