Day 3

The web of hair on Hannah's door was larger; it had now spread a quarter of the way down from the doorframe. A prickling of dread stabbed your stomach like a thin knife. Swallowing the lump in your throat, you hesitantly knocked on the door with the back of your hand and the other wrapped around the doorknob.

"Hannah? Are you in there?" You nervously called out.

Silence.

"H-Hannah? Are you awake?"

There was still no response.

The feeling in your stomach became heavier as you took in a deep breath. "I'm coming in if you don't mind," you said and steeled yourself for whatever may be on the other end. Fear pounded against your temples as you slowly turned the doorknob.

"Pardon me, but what are you doing?"

You flinched and turned around to see a maid a few feet away from you, her hands neatly clasped together as she looked at you emotionlessly.

"O-oh, I was just checking in on Hannah to see if she's up." You stammered.

"She had left a few minutes ago to get breakfast," she responded.

"Oh, okay." You said, your cheeks feeling as if they've been pricked with needles. "Is she getting any better?"

"I only saw her from behind, so I am not sure," the maid shrugged her shoulders.

"I see, thank you," you gave a slight nod of your head before quickly walking over to the dining hall.

---

Hannah looked worse than before. Her clammy skin was even paler with gray and cracked lips and horribly gaunt cheeks. The dark circles under her bloodshot eyes got even darker-- almost black. Her once-lustrous dark hair that she took so much care of was now a tangled and dull mess. You could also see some thin, dark purple veins crawling up her neck.

Although there was a fork in her hand, she didn't lift it up to her plate. She just stared past you with her mouth slightly open as if lost in thought. A low rattling sound came from the back of her throat.

"A-are you feeling alright?" You mumbled.

She didn't respond; her glassy eyes still staring and unblinking.

"Hannah," you said in a louder voice.

"Huh? What?" She blinked.

"Are you alright?"

"No," she shook her head, fighting off exhaustion. "I feel worse than yesterday. My head feels like it weighs a ton and there's these phantom pains all over my body."

"Wait-- did you say phantom pains?"

"Yeah, why?"

"What do they feel like?"

"I-I don't really know," she shook her head. "I already took some ibuprofen this morning, but it isn't working."

"You don't think it's something serious, do you?"

"I hope not, if it gets worse, we'll head into town to see a doctor." She responded and slowly brought her forkful of ham to her face.

You wrinkled your brows and slowly chewed the inside of your cheek, doubting that a doctor could fix what was wrong with her. "Did you have another weird dream last night?"

"I think so," she admitted, "I don't recall the exact details of it; it's all so fuzzy and I don't remember what it was about."

"Can you at least tell me what you remember?"