8

Grayson

I took a deep breath before we entered the venue hand in hand. I apologized to Aspen for my hands being clammy, she only squeezed my hand in response and gave me a reassuring smile. We entered the expansive event room, Aspen's arm looped through mine, men and women attired in their best business dress. I felt multiple eyes fall on us, to Aspen, the stunning woman on my arm. I led Aspen to the open bar, asking the bartender for a glass of whiskey on the rocks. Aspen asked for a ginger ale. I think the thought of alcohol made her sick. As we turned away from the bar to wander the room for my father, I placed my hand on her lower back pulling her closer to me.

"There isn't an eye that hasn't fallen onto you tonight," I murmured in Aspen's ear. I watched out of the corner of my eye as her cheeks grew pink. I led her over to where I spotted my father and Annie talking with a few men and their wives. My dad spotted me and his eyes widened in surprise as his eyes fell onto the shorter brunette next to me.

"Grayson, my son everyone," I shake hands with the men around and nod to the ladies, Aspen stays quiet, "And his date..."

"Aspen," She spoke up, extending her manicured hand.

"Aspen, lovely to finally meet you," My father bowed slightly and kissed her hand. She blushed and Annie introduced herself.

"I'm Annie, Grayson's stepmom," She extends her hand, "I'm sure we will become best friends." Aspen just nodded awkwardly in response.

I felt almost bad as Aspen stared at the ice cubes in her drink as I made business talk with my dad's clients throughout the evening, trying desperately to make them impressed by me. We sifted through all of the couples and clients, Aspen smiling and being the perfect date. I was counting down the minutes to when we were able to sit down and eat. Not because I was hungry or the food would be good because my voice was genuinely starting to hurt from talking.

"What do you think of our young Grayson here, Aspen?" Mr. Hanes asked her, her head turned to look at him.

"In what context?" She politely questioned, turning her head slightly. She was exactly who I would want at my side for these things in the future. From the way she batted her eyelashes to the way she delicately laughed at jokes only men my father's age would find funny to humor them, she made the picture perfect wife.

Aspen sang high praise about me, about being dependable and caring, etc., etc. I whispered to her a thank you as we sat down at my family's table for the dinner. All I could do was watch her. My father and Annie conversed about the holidays with Mr. Hanes and Mrs. Hanes. Aspen was so delicate with everything she did, even the way she sipped her wine just to be polite. I knew that it was making her nauseous, but she hid it so well I almost questioned my intuition. One thing about Aspen is she knows how to put on a show. Her red lipstick left a mark on her wine glass. I wished they would stain my lips.

As we were near the end of dinner, people started to get up to dance with their betrothed. My father and Annie never participated, but the second I heard Cheek to Cheek start playing, Frank Sinatra's version, Aspen and I grinned at each other from ear to ear. I didn't care what my dad thought of me at that moment. I helped Aspen up from her chair, taking her hand in mine.

"May I have this dance?" I beamed at her.

"Oh, I suppose," Aspen shrugged, giggling as we practically ran to the dance floor. I took her hand and reminisced about learning to swing dance with her to this song. I glanced over, my dad was smiling. Smiling.

"Whatever you did to charm my dad, I love you for it," I tell Aspen, spinning her out from me and back.

"What do you mean?" Aspen's head tilts slightly as my hands take her waist and spin us both around. Aspen glances over to find my dad smiling. Her nose scrunches in a smile at me as I lift her and place her down again, "All I did was be myself."